We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire!!!!

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire!!!!

I know this is an old chestnut. Want to hire in April 10 days. We have used Autos Nerja once before where you collect at airport with parking ticket left in car and then he come to where you are staying to sign up. We had our own insurance cover but seem to think we were charge for extra with the company. Got really complicated. Have looked at one can't remember name but based in Nerja starts with an L but thought website didn't seem to give any collection details. Any advise will be appreciated.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,274 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Car hire!!!!

I don't usually comment on named companies in a negative way unless I have direct personal experience and of those you mention I don't.

Over the years I've used several companies and most weren't worthy of complaint, repeat custom or recommendation, I just learnt to do better elsewhere and go for value rather than cost in most cases, the service and back-up if things go wrong are worth paying for IMO and often only quantifiable in times of breakdown, accident or incident, many cheap deals are fine without incident but 'what if?' is always the question I ask.

The only two companies I recommend from experience and knowlege of their after sales are Helle Hollis and Lessaggro, I would always chose Lessaggro if I was being based in Nerja or east of Malaga and I've never had reason to fault H.H..

I also think hire decisions are often different depending on your timescale and activity, for me anyway, what I spend and what service and guarantees I want will vary depending on if it's a holiday, tight work schedule or long stay/residence. On holiday I want total peace of mind and speedy delivery and drop off and prepared to pay, if based more long term I'd take a slightly different approach to get the cost down..

I'm being driven around in a car contracted from Europcar this week, it's OK.

VW Passat estate with only 5k on the clock at a competitive price, my colleague had lots of paperwork and a queue when he collected it and I expect will have to wait for close examination of the car on delivery - all takes time. No complaints about the car or price though.

Stoofer

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,968 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car hire!!!!

It would be good if there was a proper list of all the good car hire companies that people have used plus a list of the bad ones and put them in a sticky at the top of all the forums, for people to check. Mind you, doubt if many people would bother to look at them to do some research before they hire!

Tinton Falls, New...
Level Contributor
934 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car hire!!!!

Ceejayblue ---- Great idea for a list of good/bad rental companies!!!!

I'm undecided so far for our summer Spain trip. Reading various forum opinions, still slightly confused. I never had a problem here in US or down in the Caribbean. But some stories, I've been reading.... wow.

Appreciate any good rental opinions.

Thanks to all Destination Experts.

Cheers! -------- Ken

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car hire!!!!

I think your list would very quickly become useless CJ, every one has so many different experiences. I am sure someone will have issues with Helle Hollis just as sure as I am that we have never had issues with Record or Goldcar, other than wait time. Good idea though, just cant see it woking in practise.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,968 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car hire!!!!

I know what you mean MT but at least it would be a starting point. I know Campsieclyde has used Record through DYS several times and had no problems. I often think though that its the way that the customers behave towards the staff that exacerbates the sometimes poor customer service.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car hire!!!!

We pretty much already have that... by searching "car hire" at the top of this page (or in Malaga and/or Costa-del Sol")

There is only so much we can say, and advise. People really do need to take time to research, instead of making their debut on here..... when they get home!!!

Ooh,Ooh..... I think I've just come up with a new word....

PRESEARCH!!!

:-)

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,968 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Car hire!!!!

Good one Muckeram! People also need to accept their own responsibility for not reading the T&Cs and being off hand with the people behind the desk even before they've been given the hard sell!

Tinton Falls, New...
Level Contributor
934 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Car hire!!!!

Good one. --- Presearch --- New word for the TA vocabulary.

Frigiliana, Spain
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Car hire!!!!

use helle hollis in january. impressed with the service and cars. now automotive prices have gone through the roof we will always look for HH first. we book via economy carhire. easy to book and everythings laid out interms of what you do and dont get. no nasty surprises

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,968 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Car hire!!!!

Don't forget LG that if you book direct with HH you can use Mantalk or Alibenalmadena's owners' codes that they've kindly put out there for everyone and that gives you 15% off, plus there was a voucher for a further €10 off as well at the end of last year that can be used anytime in 2013. We've booked for them for September and got a 5% early booking discount, 15% owners' discount and can use the voucher. Great deal.

Get answers to your questions about Nerja