We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"If you don't take our insurance you may miss your plane"

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
440 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
"If you don't take our insurance you may miss your plane"

Can you believe it? This was Advantage car hire (booked through Carjet). I have an annual insurance for car rental so I don't need another from the car hire company.

I'm quite good at saying "no" , then "no" again, This was when the booking clerk explained that if I take the insurance I'd be able to take the car back with no inspection and no delay. However if I didn't take the insurance they would have to thoroughly inspect the car which might delay me so much that I might well miss my plane for which they would not be responsible. She explained that for example a problem with the clutch would be my responsibility and implied that they might have to strip the car down to examine the wear on the clutch plates.

This is sharp practice and typical of what is going on now with some of the car rental companies. The staff are clearly on commission to sell insurance by whatever means they can.

The car was great but I won't be using Advantage or Car Jet again.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "If you don't take our insurance you may miss your plane"

Chanquete - I do understand your frustration. Usually though if you have your own insurance they will take an imprint of your credit card and not actually charge it (some do unfortunately and they should refund quickly). If they do take money from your card then you can claim it back via your own insurance.

Your problelm, however, is not with Carjet, as they are the broker, it is Advantage who are the problem and there is a thread on TA with hundreds of posts on about the problems with Advantage. Carjet will change the company they first offer if you are not happy with it - as do most brokers.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: "If you don't take our insurance you may miss your plane"

The 'problem' is also with brokers that allow such conduct, brokers can choose not to use certain companies, why go to a broker that only wants the business without ensuring you get best service and value if things go wrong? Simple answer: Price.

IMO a brokers job is not just to identify low cost, it's the overall package, I blame the brokers as much as the hire companies when sharp practice is allowed.

You get what you pay for, pages and pages of complaints on these forums regarding many companies and brokers. it follows a theme I've noted before, if you pay for a decent company (local if you can) direct that will look after you then a minefield can be avoided rather than having to plot your way through it.

It's all time and stress, searching or low prices, avoiding the small print mines, most likely queues at collection and again to have the car inspected on delivery. And what happens if things go wrong.

By using good local companies I've rented for 25 years all over Spain and Europe, holiday and regular business. if you can't get local go with the big guys but do so direct and everything confirmed by email.. I've never had a serious issue, yet when I've posted recomendations to spend a few Euros more on local companies the response is most often that they aren't value for money as more expensive. It's easy to see a pattern, cause and effect.

Stoofer

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "If you don't take our insurance you may miss your plane"

I agree Stoofer that sometimes its worth paying out more but I guess a lot of people may not trust local companies, even after recommendations on here, because they don't know them and are not sure they have the back up available. I wonder if the brokers are bound by some weird EU regulation that means that its not easy to stop using a bad car hire company?

I've used Carjet, Holiday Autos and Auto-europe over the years and have always had a good deal and if I didn't like the companies they suggested then they were happy to look for another deal for me. I've also always found that no matter what company you go with if you are polite to the staff then they are usually polite and keen to help. Its difficult I know if you've had a stressful flight and see long queues and staff who are rushed off their feet, not to react to things and sometimes things get out of hand.

I think though that whoever anyone on here recommends there will always be someone else who comes back with a bad review so we just can't win really! We can't make people read terms and conditions and understand fuel policies and extra insurance. We can only advise and hope that people get a good car hire experience in the end.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "If you don't take our insurance you may miss your plane"

I absolutely understand what Chanquete is saying. We have had an annual insurance policy for a few years and it doesn't matter if the company we book with is small, local, global or whatever, we always get the hard sell about the insurance - even when we show them our policy. This time I have booked malagacar.com because of recommendations on here and I have decided to take their extra insurance just to avoid the hassle and like Chanquete says, the worry about having the car checked when you return it. Personally I would have rather paid for a taxi for the airport run and hired a car for a couple of days if we felt we needed to but hubby likes the independence and the price for a week is about the same as hiring it for a few days. I will report back on our experience when we return.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "If you don't take our insurance you may miss your plane"

I should add that it still seems like a good price with the insurance. Looks like 4 euros extra a day and pay for half a tank of petrol. the basic price was 72 euros for a decent size car for the week.

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
440 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "If you don't take our insurance you may miss your plane"

An update ...

We took the car back and they didn't even look at it, just took the key and we were away.

Although I said we'd never use them again, I booked a car through easycar, and didn't realise until after I paid that it was Advantage!. However we had no delays, were through the paperwork in 5 minutes and were given a really good car at a great price (even with the full/empty scam). So the cheaper end of car hire is a bit of a lottery.

By the way I see that after 1st March they are changing their name to Firefly. Its due to Hertz taking over another company and not wanting too many brand names.

7. Re: "If you don't take our insurance you may miss your plane"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 10, 2014