We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It's turned a bit parkie!!!

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
It's turned a bit parkie!!!

How much colder does it get over winter?

I'm living just outside Torrox, in a house by the roadside. I have no heating of any kind, not even a fireplace - ANY IDEAS what's the best/most economical(cheapest) way to heat your property?? (i think this house will get V damp too!)

ta

jx

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: It's turned a bit parkie!!!

Yes it can get cold here! I don´t think people realise just how cold properties can be in the winter.Like you,I do not have fireplaves or central heating.

I am lucky that there are lots of windows in my flat that have the sun on them most of the day,I make the most of this.Curtains wide open to let the heat in etc.

I have a couple of the free standing electric radiators and a little fan heater.

I use the latter to heat the bedroom for an hour or two before going to bed.I also have an electric blanket which is heaven!! :)

During a cold winter evening,I will fill a hot water bottle and snuggle up to watch TV wrapped in a fleece throw! Sounds very Dickensian but it works and it is only for a week or two!?

Damp hasn´t been a problem thank goodness.Good Luck!

2. Re: It's turned a bit parkie!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:47 pm, October 21, 2009
Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It's turned a bit parkie!!!

This is a good opportunity to remind anyone looking for a Winter let to ensure that the accommodation has adequate heating.

Although generally very pleasant during the day it does go VERY cold as soon as the sun starts to go down late afternoon.

We invested in low power wall heaters last Winter and were extremely pleased with them - they don´t give out a massive amount of heat but keep a room very comfortably aired and use minimal electricity comapred to other forms of electric powered heating. Think we paid around 70 Euro per heater but see they are currently being advertised in the Sentinella for 59 Euro.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,731 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It's turned a bit parkie!!!

Getting cold over that side is it? Our winter duvets are still in their vac-packs in the upper wardrobes!

If the OP has a house with an open staircase then one of the oil-filled electric radiators placed at the bottom of the stairs will probably be sufficient to keep the house warm enough - works for us as it heats downstairs and takes the edge off in the bedrooms upstairs at the same time. Just don't go out without turning it off or the electricity bill can be a bit ouch.

I was looking at those low-energy heaters the other day in Carrefour, €49 each or two for €90. I was a bit suspicious about whether they would actually do anything but may follow your advice Cas and get a couple for upstairs.

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
461 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: It's turned a bit parkie!!!

Check out those heat exchangers with a unit inside the house and another one outside - you see them everywhere. They can transfer the heat from inside the house in the summer, and from the outside to warm the house in the winter. The main problem is that if it gets really cold the outside unit can drop below zero and will lose efficiency. This starts happening at about 10 degrees. For some supplementary warmth you might think about a portable gas fire which contains one of the large cylinders you see being delivered. This is probably the cheapest way, although the products of combustion end up in the house, including CO2 and water vapour.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,731 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It's turned a bit parkie!!!

< For some supplementary warmth you might think about a portable gas fire which contains one of the large cylinders you see being delivered.>

Hmmm. The word 'bombona' is slightly too close to the word 'bomb' for me to have one of those inside the house!

;-)

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
15,138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: It's turned a bit parkie!!!

> I'm living just outside Torrox <

What full time, all winter?

And, you (and the agent) didn't consider heating?

It can get really cold from now on in.

Stoofer

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: It's turned a bit parkie!!!

Hi, Yes planning to live here, winter and all!!

It did concern me about the 'No heating' problem at the time but i wanted the property, and well "cross that bridge" n all that!!

I like the electric blanket and hot water bottle idea, though it's mainly the mornings that i hate being cold - getting out of a warm cosy bed n all that!

...and in the evening if watching a movie!

I'm a bit scared of the GAS option - those calor bottles have been know to BLOW up - and any way, aren't they banned from certain buildings now??

I met someone who tried the flat metal wall panel heater thing, and they said it warmed a small area around it, but no more - waste of time/money he said!

THANKYOU ALL for your ideas though!

Velez Malaga
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: It's turned a bit parkie!!!

In the September issue of Soltalk I saw a full page ad and an article regarding a new heating and cooling system from a company called Calfri-life.com It looked absolutely marvelous and extremely economical to use, so I have arranged for an agent to come and give me an estimate.

Apparently it works like central heating except that the radiators cool as well as heat!

Does anyone else have experience of this system?

UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: It's turned a bit parkie!!!

britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php…

Get answers to your questions about Nerja