We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acantilado De Maro-Cerro Gordo

Zakopane, Poland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Acantilado De Maro-Cerro Gordo

hello

I'm going to Andalucia with my girlfriend on 29th September for 10 rather busy days (Granada, Sevilla, Antequera (Torcal), Nerja, Frigilliana, Malaga) and want to spent 2 or 3 days on the beaches in the park mentioned in the topic. we like more quiet places and first of all I want to take some photographs and those beaches with rocks and mountains looks very interesting for me. few questions:

1 how to get there? I think about bus to Maro and then by foot (we are not affraid of walking, we do this often in the mountains in our hometown). is this good idea?

2 what weather and how many people expect there in the early October (4-7)

3 something different. I read a lot about restaurants and tapas bars and I'm interested in typical prices

hope for some help and advices. if someone has something to say about going from Antequera to El Torcal and back (I see bus at 13:00 to villanueva de la concepcion but no chance of return, how about taxi?)

Nerja, Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Acantilado De Maro-Cerro Gordo

The beaches along the coast of the Maro - Cerro Gordo park are certainly well worth visiting. Many are very quiet, particularly out of the height of the holiday season, but many are also remote.

The park is a huge area and a car is almost essential for getting around. There are certainly many walks inland to be enjoyed, but it would take you most of the day to walk from, say, Maro to their starting points!

Some of the beaches which can be seen from the main coast road are only accessible by tracks, and vehicle access (where possible) is banned to many. Again, you need transport to get within walking distance of these.

Weather in early October is variable. While you will probably get some good sunny, warm days, you may also get some days when the rain pours down. Evenings will be chilly, however.

Prices at Nerja's restaurants and bars are like the October weather - variable! Expect to pay around 3 euros for a large beer and 4.50 for spirits (say, gin & tonic) in the bars which have the best position in town or along the beaches. But you'll pay a lot less in some of the smaller bars which depend less on tourism in the old town.

There are so many restaurants in the town that you'll be able to find at least one to meet your budget. They are all obliged to display their prices outside so you won't get any nasty shocks when you go in!

Zakopane, Poland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Acantilado De Maro-Cerro Gordo

thanks a lot for reply. on the maps and what I found on the internet it looks Maro should be a good starting point to the beaches but now I'm not so sure but we will try to get there without a car :) we are used to trek 30-50km a day in our mountains so it won't be big problem especialy if I will be able to take some good photo.

maybe other place then Maro accesible by bus is better to start?

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acantilado De Maro-Cerro Gordo

You could try getting the bus to La Herradura (from Nerja) and starting to walk from there.The opening of the Autovia will (perhaps) have made walking along part of the old road a little easier.

Nerja, Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
940 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Acantilado De Maro-Cerro Gordo

I'd be *very* cautious about walking on the coast road!

Although the opening of the autovía as far as La Herradura has taken the heavy traffic away from it, it is still classified as one of Spain's most dangerous roads (according to Spain's equivalent of the RAC and based on the number of serious accidents per year).

It was also named as *the* most dangerous road for motorcyclists in the country.

Zakopane, Poland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Acantilado De Maro-Cerro Gordo

NerjaDave thanks for warning. it is important to know that especialy I planned to stay until very late afternoon by the sea to have some nice light and mood for photographs but walking back after the sunset to Maro for the bus would be not the best idea

thanks again

Grzegorz

6. Re: Acantilado De Maro-Cerro Gordo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 09, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Nerja