We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scam

Which Fuengirola hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Scam

Just thought I would mention a guy who approached us with a long story about his car being towed. He wanted €8.90 for a taxi to go to the tow away park and get his car. We had just had a lovely meal and plenty of vino and found him so amusing and obviously a con man my hubby handed him €10 and said the story alone was worth the money. We probably shouldn't have encouraged him. Keep an eye put for an older English man who is quite charming but a terrible actor. : )

75 replies to this topic
Coventry, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Scam

This is good to know as we are going there next June.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Scam

There has also been a "gentleman" around the supermarket in Riviera who says he is a diabetic and needs to eat but has lost his wallet. Another scam I believe.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,956 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Scam

As a diabetic I never go anywhere without something in my pocket or bag, like a couple of biscuits or a banana and neither do my diabetic friends, so if someone came up to me and said that I would be very suspicious.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Scam

CJ my brother-in-law is insulin dependent and like you always carries something in his jacket pocket. It is usually a banana. So I would agree with you on this one.

Lindsay

Shefford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Scam

He tried this scam with both my sister and me during the same day, but at opposite ends of the town!

Once up the new shopping centre near the castle and then down by the Angela hotel.

Long grey hair,cowboy style, small build,also poses as a car park attendant helping people park in the (FREE) Market car park, complete with brown coat

and leather money bag!

There is also a couple of woman going about with the same story...

Wonder how many people really believe him?

Happy New Year to you all..

London
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Scam

This creep is now in la cala mijas. Glasses and keys in hand saying he was towed off a motorbike space whilst out walking.

He has no shame, he is the type who would rob his own grandmother. Scruffy, pathetic individual.

Pops out of nowhere with a pathetic whine about needing 9 euros for a cab etc.

Something needs to be done about this bloke.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Scam

Yes I was caught out by this guy about 2 years ago and was approached by him last time coming back from hols. His scam is he has missed his flight and needs some money to get back to his friends. But wait for it I was on my way back last Saturday 26th Oct on an evening flight when I decided to check the times of Airport buses when I saw the same guy cashing in his money at this desk.. I counted at least 18 rows of 10€'s and still she was counting from another bag full. He must have picked up 250 to 300€. Makes you think.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Scam

My wife and myself came across this same person but he conned 20 Euro from wife as he pretended to be from Glengariff Co Cork, I had my doubts about him and i told my wife afterwards if she ever gets that money back i would double it.

So be aware, we came across him near Los Boliches train station and main road.

manchester
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Scam

Having just returned from fuengirola, i can confirm this man is still trying to scam people at malaga airport. We were just loading our hire car when he appeared and told us his hire car had been towed and he needed money for a taxi to malaga, 17 euros he asked us for. When we told him we had no money he asked for english money, again we said no and he scuttled off. Obviously a scam when he was asking for money and had a mobile in his hand. Presume its the same man as english and quite well spoken matching previous posts. Please beware when at airport.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Scam

You do the right thing, just say no politely and keep on walking. Sadly this is a common ruse in most Airports in the world, but sadly some fall for it :( Hope you had a good time none the less !

Reply to: Scam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fuengirola
Recent Conversations