We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tarifa to Morocco with a Vehicle

Which Algeciras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
110 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Tarifa to Morocco with a Vehicle

I have searched the net and am beginning to wonder if there is a vehicular ferry on this route. We will be arriving from Serville to Tarifa spending a week in Morocco and then up the east coast of Spain to Valencia and Barcelona which is why Tarifa is more convenient than the other options. Our other option is to see the east coast of Spain and then get a ferry from Morocco to Sicily or Tunisia but my research tells me there isnt one!l All suggestions very welcome.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,959 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tarifa to Morocco with a Vehicle

Did you look through the web for the Tarifa-Tangier ferry company? www.frs.es

Many people also use the Algeciras-Tangier car ferry route as there are more options however it does take longer. One of the operators for this route is http://www.trasmediterranea.es/

To drive from Tarifa to Algeciras is under 40 minutes around the headland.

To drive from Seville to Algeciras you can use the good A381 dual carriageway road - for info on roads and distances etc look up www.viamichelin.com

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tarifa to Morocco with a Vehicle

With a car you are far better off taking the 40 minute or so ferry from Algeciras to Ceuta, a Spanish territory on the African mainland. In Ceuta you drive the 3 km to the Moroccan border and then you have options of continuing on to Tangier, Tetouan, Chefchaouen, Fes and beyond. Its also beautiful scenery.

The main reason for choosing this is the possiblity of picking up duty free petrol in Ceuta and stocking up on duty free groceries and booze for your trip. The Ceuta border crossing is also a little more laid back than arriving at Tangier.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,959 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tarifa to Morocco with a Vehicle

chano- that's a great idea. How about rental car people in Andalucia - do you think they would agree to allow their cars to be taken into Morocco?

Didn't I read somewhere that a rental car operator at Jerez airport had several vehicles stolen and some were found in Ceuta the next morning ! A Moroccan gang had been at work apparently.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
110 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tarifa to Morocco with a Vehicle

Thaks for the warning. Given that I have no idea of which port or route is safer can you please advise. We are two women in our late 40's - fit and healthy - but would prefer to forgo duty free for safety. Thanks Vicki.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tarifa to Morocco with a Vehicle

Just a thought.. can you take a car hired in Spain to Morocco?

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
110 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tarifa to Morocco with a Vehicle

I didn't realise there were restrictions however in this case we have bought a campervan as we are travelling for 6 months!!

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tarifa to Morocco with a Vehicle

I forgot to mention it in my previous post but you CANNOT take a rental car into Morocco...

Neither route is preferable in terms of ease or safety. I guess it depends on what your onward itinerary is. Ceuta makes more sense for Chefchaouen and Fes, Tangier if you want to get straight onto the toll highway going towards Rabat, Casa, Marrakesh, etc.

8. Re: Tarifa to Morocco with a Vehicle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, August 24, 2009