We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Markree Castle

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Markree Castle

Why are there no pictures of the bedrooms on the Markree Castle website? I have booked a superior room for 2 nights, but how can I know what to expect? Also, should I go with the special offer of '2 nights stay, 1 dinner, etc'? Is it worth it?

11 replies to this topic
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
769 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Markree Castle

Have you checked TA reviews of this hotel? There are 188 traveler photos there and some are pictures of bedrooms. Interesting that 21% of the people who rated this facility rated it Average/Poor/Terrible!!

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g315888-d213050…

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Markree Castle

So that means 79% rated it Good/Very Good/Excellent ....

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,642 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Markree Castle

I've stayed in Markree Castle and loved it!

I had a beautiful large room overlooking the gardens.

This was in pre-TA times so I never wrote a review. But I hope that the place is still as lovely as it was then.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
379 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Markree Castle

Difficult to rate its value for money when you do not give detail on the rate you have been offered.

Markree itself is a little frayed around the edges; some would regard this as "charm", others might see it as in need of a make-over.

One thing it is not however is in the Ashford/Dromoland Castle league.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Markree Castle

My family of four are considering a July stay here.We were quoted €440 for 3 nights b and b for two adjoining rooms, one a double one a twin, with interconnecting door.How does this sound would you say?

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,642 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Markree Castle

I think that's a good deal.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Markree Castle

We're not expecting Ashford Castle.The kids would love to stay in an old castle, and location wise there seems to be a fair few places to visit thereabouts.What would folks in the knows recommendations be for the most kid friendly spots to visit?Our girls are 8 and 6 so for instance, would the walk up Knocknarea be doable for them?

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
379 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Markree Castle

I think young ladies would particularly take to the place - they are all princesses at heart after all. The public areas are spacious and one is not in fear and dread of damage being done to some precious piece of period furniture.

Knocknarea is not dangerous in any way to climb but they will have something to boast about if they manage it; to encourage the effort, get them to pick a small pebble on setting out - to be deposited on the cairn at the top......

Beach at Rosses Point is great on a fine day. You can drive on to the Waterworld in Bundoran if the weather is less accommodating. There is another option at Lough Key Forest Park outside Boyle; they might be just old enough for the Boda Borg activity area.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Markree Castle

We just returned from a two week stay in Ireland. We spent two of those nights at Markree Castle. We knew going in that Markree Castle was old from what we had read on Trip Advisor. That being said, we were not prepared for what awaited us. Before we even checked in, we were on our third room. We had reserved the WB Yeats room for our stay; my husband had called weeks prior to clarify that the room held a king size bed. When we arrived and went to the room, we found a double/full size bed & a twin bed; the full size bed being very old and not a bit comfortable or to our liking. When we returned to the front desk and reported our findings, the man at receptions argued with us that, yes, it was a king-sized bed, and that what we found in the Yeats room was their typical king-sized bed. This was unacceptable to us and after going back & forth, he finally offered us another room that he said had a king-sized bed. We took the key and entered the room. It was, indeed, a king-sized bed but after checking out the rest of the quarters, I found the bathroom light didn't work, nor did the bedside light work, nor did the fan work in the bathroom. Again, we returned to receptions and reported our findings to the receptionist. A manager on duty, hearing our dismay, then offered another room. This one was on the first floor and past ongoing construction. Although, she also offered this room as having a king-sized bed, the bed was a queen. At this point in the game, we were very tired as we had spent a good part of the day traveling. We decided to go ahead and take the 3rd room, even though the shower room had no heat, nor did the toilet/sink room. It was quite evident that this room had not been vaccuumed since, well, I don't know, because I found more than several long hairs in clumps that belonged to neither my husband nor me!

Markree Castle is a wantabe. It has so much potential yet, if the owner isn't willing to spend the money, it will never be any more than it now is. The website touts "wireless in every room" but yet wireless is only accessible in the common area in front of the reception desk. This does not include the Pub, Restaurant, or any other common areas in the castle.

On a brighter note, our evening meal was delicious! But both nights were run with skeleton crews only. The night staff went out of their way to please, but you have to ask yourself, why should they have to do this? One girl was the receptionist, the host, the server, etc. Why put your staff in this position?

Also, since we ate breakfast & dinner at the same table both days, we noticed that the tablecloth held the same crumbs from previous meals and that the carpets had not been cleaned for the two days we ate in the restaurant..

We were not the only ones who noticed the unkempt areas. We met 2 other couples who also were not impressed with the castle.

In closing, all I have to say is if you put yourself out there as a castle and as having wonderful rooms, follow through with that. Don't allow someone to come halfway across the world expecting something else and then you don't deliver. All we came away with from Markree Castle were the other wonderful travelers we met and some of the staff that tried to compensate for our misfortune. Our thanks to them.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Markree Castle

@mArgaritaville

That seems like a great bargain tbh....never stayed there but certainly wouldn't be expecting Dromoland at those prices. Knocknarea would be fine for the children, just make sure they have runners on and not sandals as its quite stoney.

Lots of other things for them to do in the area....running up and down the Sanddunes in Strandhill being one of our favourites :-)

Have to go out now but if u need more info just post.

Reply to: Markree Castle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Collooney