We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Find Grandparent's Graves

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help Find Grandparent's Graves

My grandparents are long gone - 1920's or before. Only details I remember from my late father who was born in Corbo Kilroosky in 1913 is that is mom Ellen Gilleran (maiden name) died when he was a baby and that his father - Thomas Nevin died when he was a young boy (not sure how old my dad was). My father Michael came to the US when he was 17 and made a few trips back to Roscommon the last time around 1981 or 1983 to put headstones on his parent's graves. My father was the baby of the family and he died in January 1983 so there is no one from his family alive to find out where in Roscommon my grandparents are buried. Where would I start to try to find their graves. My family are making our first trip to Roscommon in May 2014 and I would really love to visit my grandparent's graves. I also know my father knew Bridget Sweeney (a neighbor) who passed a few years ago. Any help appreciated.

19 replies to this topic
boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Find Grandparent's Graves

You have a good amount of information to get you started once you arrive in Ireland. If you are renting a car and have the time to do a good search you should be able to find the cemetery. I just googled Corbo Kilrooskey and it seems that many of the death notices mention a cemetery called Kilgefin Cemetery. Also, once you have located the village of Corbo Kilrooskey look for the closest town that contains a church and they might have some records of the family. Have you checked the 1901 and 1911 census? This might give you added information about the name of the townland you are looking for.

Edited: 10:54 pm, November 23, 2013
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Find Grandparent's Graves

Take a look at the 1901 & 1911 census on: www.census.nationalarchives.ie

I came across Thomas & Ellen Nevin and family in the 1911 census Roscommon search living at Corbe, Drumdaff, Roscommon. This is in the RC parish of Kilbride: www.kilbride.ie

It appears that Thomas had children born in America from a previous marriage and in 1911 he had only been married to Ellen for two years.

I came across Ellen Gilleran in the 1901 census Roscommon search living at Cloonfree, Annaghmore, Roscommon. She was then single and living with her father. This is in the parish of Cloonfinlough, now part of the Strokestown group of RC parishes.

Hope this helps and you may be able to find these places on www.osi.ie

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Find Grandparent's Graves

Yes my grandparents are on the 1911 Ireland census

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Find Grandparent's Graves

Thanks I did know some of this. I had found my grandfather and his first wife and children on the 1901 US New York city census. The parish information is helpful. Should I write the parish to see if they have records of their graves?

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Find Grandparent's Graves

The Kilbride parish priest should be able to help you find your grandparents graves.

If I were you I would also contact the records office and get the two marriage certificates 1889 & 1909 to find out where the church marriages took place ie. usually parish of the bride.

Thomas Nevin marriage (1) = Roscommon Jan-Feb-Mar 1889 - ref. Vol 3, page 290

Thomas Nevin marriage (2) = Roscommon Apr-May-Jun 1909 - ref. Vol 3. page 267

Hope this helps

new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Find Grandparent's Graves

Thank you so much. Really appreciate it. How do I find the address of the parish?

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Find Grandparent's Graves

You can google ~ Kilbride parish Roscommon, Ireland and leave a message on their website or email them at: info@kilbrideparish.ie

I think that the St. Brigids church, Kilbride parish priest is Fr. Larmy Shine

Edited: 1:53 pm, November 24, 2013
new jersey
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Find Grandparent's Graves

Thanks so much. I will do that.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Find Grandparent's Graves

Look here:

lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/intl/IRL/IRL-ROSCOMMON.html‎

You might find some folks who are looking for the same ancestors. You might even find some relatives.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Find Grandparent's Graves

Co. Roscommon ancestry was the featured county in the genealogy magazine, Irish Lives Remembered, April 2013 edition. Specifically, check out pages 32 to 40 in this free online link:

…uniflip.com/2/71043/300135/pub/mobile.html

Should that link not work for you, check out Back Issues of the magazine here:

http://www.irishlivesremembered.com

In addition, the very last link here under the heading 'Useful Contacts' is for the Heritage Office of Roscommon County Council:

http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Heritage/Publications/Co_Roscommon's_Graveyards.pdf

A lot of work has been done on recording the graves in various graveyards in the county.

Reply to: Help Find Grandparent's Graves
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted