We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laytown races

Which Slane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
norwich
Level Contributor
19 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Laytown races

Hello everyone,

I know it's early but we are planning to go racing at Laytown next year & would like any advice about accommodation.We will be travelling from England & possibly staying in Dublin.Is it possible to get to Laytown by rail, or is it better to stay locally ?

Any information about the event would be much appreciated.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Laytown races

You can find more information about this unique event in the link below. The information given includes how to get to Laytown.

goracing.ie/Content/HRI/hriracecourses.aspx…

We'd recommend staying in Dublin and making your way up for the racing. There's lots to see and do in County Meath but it's a bit tricky without a car, whereas you won't want or need a car in Dublin. If you did want to explore County Meath beyond Laytown, a day tour from central Dublin to Newgrange (megalthic tombs 1,000 years older than Stonehenge and a UNESCO World Heritage Site) and other locations might fit the bill.

There's only one rail provider in the Republic of Ireland, the State-owned Irish Rail. You can find information about tickets, train times and routes here but obviously will need to check for your dates much closer to the event:

www.irishrail.ie

For information on accommodation in Dublin, along with day trips and lots of other suggestions and recommendations about visiting the city, check out the Top Questions about Dublin section on the right hand side of the Dublin Forum.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laytown races

Hi there,

Laytown is in fact serviced by one of the most frequent rail lines in the country. Trains run from Connolly station almost hourly( destination Drogheda). Also there is a private coach service, Matthews Coach, which has two services per hour from Parnell street in Dublin city centre.

Race night is a great night in local areas, which you would miss out on if you stay in Dublin. Bettystown court hotel is within walking distance. I could recommend to you in Drogheda, Scholars Townhouse hotel, a little gem, or the D hotel. Both of these are easily accessible by local taxi. Hope this helps B

Edited: 12:39 pm, November 17, 2010
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Laytown races

Hi Bazzer

Laytown Races are an institution in their own right and one of only a handful of sand race meets held under the rules of racing (and the only one in Ireland). Laytown and its environs once were beautiful little coastal villages but unfortunately is now a urban sprawl of dense housing with little or no planning or infrastructure. Its saving grace is its beach, which comes alive on Race Day! The date of the annual race meet is determined by the tides. There is nothing as nice as the sound of the horses galloping over the sand.

The only accommodation I would recommend in the immediate vicinity would have been the Bettystown Court Hotel, however I have heard rumours that they have become another victim of the economic situation we find ourselves in, and have gone into receivership.

Two other accommodations I would recommend would be The Glenside Hotel or City North Hotel www.citynorthhotel.com & http://www.glensidehotel.ie/Welcome.html However, your would need your own transport (or taxi) as neither would be serviced by bus. Actually, City North may be, I will check that for you.

Drogheda would be another option, and Bikies has mentioned the two best accommodation options there for you. Here are the links to their sites http://www.thedhotel.com/ & http://www.scholarshotel.com/ The D Hotel have had excellent deals for the past while

There are shuttle bus services from Drogheda to/from the races.

Another option if you fancy self-catering and right on the beach in Laytown http://www.cottages-ireland.com/

I would suggest that you stay relatively local and rent a car for your visit. You have a wealth of activities on your doorstep including Bru Na Boinne for Newgrange heritageireland.ie/en/… Hill of Tara heritageireland.ie/en/… High Crosses at Monasterboice sacred-destinations.com/ireland/monasterboice & Carlingford http://www.carlingford.ie/ to name but a few

Yes, you can stay in Dublin and travel by rail, but you will miss out on the fun and atmosphere if you do so, and the craic after the races is as much fun as the race itself!

The BBC have a documentary, Racing the Tide if you can source it. Excellent overview of the event. A few years old, but the event is still the same :-)

Edited: 2:56 am, November 19, 2010
norwich
Level Contributor
19 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laytown races

Thanks for replying so promptly.I am sure that the information will be very useful when we make our plans.

norwich
Level Contributor
19 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laytown races

Thanks for your prompt reply.I am sure that the information will be very helpful when we make our plans.

norwich
Level Contributor
19 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laytown races

Thanks very much for the information I am sure that it will be very useful when we plan our trip.

7. Re: Laytown races

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, May 20, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Slane
More Slane Topics