We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Carlingford

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
226 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Carlingford

we are staying in the Four Seasons from 3-7th August. Our party consists of 4 adults and 2 kids under 3. Has anyone any ideas on things to do suitable for all using Carlingford as our base-preferably not more than an hour away. Also any nice spots for a light lunch as dinner in the hotel is included.

Thanks

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Carlingford

For lunch, there's Fitzpatrick's, which is on the road from Dundalk to Carlingford. I was there recently with my 2.5 year old, and there's a children's menu plus baby changing facilities.

For things to do, about an hour away in Cavan, just outside Kingscourt there's Dun na Ri Forest park which is really lovely. Stephenstown Pond in Knockbridge, a few miles outside Dundalk, is nice for the little ones - http://www.stephenstownpond.com/location.html

There's a play centre in Dundalk called Pirates Den -http://www.pirates-den.com/, as well as a bowling alley and ice rink. Have a look at http://www.dundalk.ie/having_fun.html

Thre are a couple of beaches on the Cooley peninsula - Shelling HIll/Templetown is probably the nicest. There's also Gyles's Quay.

Newgrange and Monsterboice are also well within strliking distance.

You could head on a day trip across the border to Newry and on to Warrenpoint and Newcastle. Tollymore forest park is also really good.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Carlingford

The problem with Carlingford is that everyware else is a long journey. We used to go with scouts up into the Cooley mountains and stay at a hostel in Omeath, so I can definately recommend the views overlooking the lough from the Cooley mountains.

There is also a small passenger ferry that goes from Omeath over to Warrenpoint. Warrenpoint is a small lively town with a few nice restaurants. There is also the ferry to Heysham if you feel adventurous enough.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
226 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Carlingford

Thanks for the replies.

Is belfast too long for a day trip?

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Carlingford

Belfast is around one and a half hours drive from Carlingford and is well worth a visit, however Sterling is high at the moment, so you won't be getting many bargains for your euro.. Also well worth visiting is the Ulster-American Folk Park near Omagh, they have a lot of different activities during the summer months.

www.nmni.com

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Carlingford

Hi Fogartyel

For your lunch options, my favourites in Carlingford for lunch are Food For Thought on Dundalk Street and Dan's Stonewall Cafe on the Square.

For your day trips, yes I would suggest Belfast should you decide. As Cavan said 90 minutes will take you there. If you want to head North, Newry will be 15-20 minutes in the Lough road from Carlingford, through Omeath - a nice pleasant drive. An entrance to the carpark to the Quays Shopping Centre will be on your lefthandside approaching Newry from Carlingford - so you wont have to navigate around the town. Everywhere is within strolling distance from the Quays.

If you cross the lough over to Warrenpoint, a good lunch option (and kiddy friendly) is Restaurant 23 http://www.restaurant23.com/ Fantastic food and one of my favourites. On the way to Warrenpoint, I have often seen signs for this place http://www.newryfunhouse.com/ It would be on your right hand side leaving Newry heading to Warrenpoint.

If you tire of the beautiful scenery around Carlingford, a trip to Slieve Gullion is a short distance away. newryandmourne.gov.uk/tourism/activities/wal… Maybe pack up a light picnic and away you go - weather permitting

For the kiddies as Andarma said - Pirates Den in Dundalk, or venture further south to Drogheda (40 minutes) and Funtasia www.funtasia.ie/waterpark/home.aspx… will keep them amused (and tire them out!). That could be coupled with a trip to Newgrange Farm http://www.newgrangefarm.com/ A favourite with kiddies of all ages (myself included) in the area.

Somehow I dont think the kiddies would appreciate Newgrange/Knowth - keep that until they are older.

Warrenpoint
Level Contributor
496 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Carlingford

I don't know about Belfast with such young children but for my kids 9 and 11 the museum was a winner as was the zoo.

If you plan to go to Warrenpoint, another 2.5 miles out the coast road will take you to Rostrevor and Kilbroney Park which is nice and you can have lunch in the park cafe, or in one of the places in Warrenpoint, eg, Shenanigans Bar at the Boathouse does a choice of three mains on their £4.95 lunch special that changes daily. Restaurant 23 is indeed lovely but I find it expensive to take kids to, more for a special ocasion really although they do have a lunch menu which I have heard is more reasonable. I would add that it's now moved from Bennett's Bar to the Balmoral Hotel on Seaview. The Whistledown Hotel nearby also serves food and if it's a nice day it's beautiful to sit out on the terrace and watch the boats.

If you prefer to picnic in the park the deli counter in Eurospar will make you up filled baguettes - I can't remember the price but I know it's very reasonable as I got one a few times during work and you could get everything you need for a picnic in the shop. There are also lots of sandwich/coffee bars like Delilites where you can get a freshly made sandwich to order.

As a previous poster mentioned the Funhouse on the road to Newry is very popular with kids but it's a bit tedious for the adults to have to sit with them for an hour and a half or whatever the allocated time is, although the cafe there is very good with freshly prepared food and there are newspapers provided. We tend to take it in turns with someone being dropped there with the kids while the other goes shopping in Newry. You have to drive right up to the roundabout by the way and go back on yourself down into the industrial estate to get to it.

Just thinking, Warrenpoint is holding the Maiden of the Mournes festival and there will be a bit of buzz about the town next week and live music in the square in the evenings.There might be some activities of interest to your party for the children, I've just looked at www.facebook.maidenofthemournes but call into the office on Church Street to ask what's happening. From a quick scan there is clay modelling for little ones for an hour every morning and a teddy bear's picnic on Wed pm with storytelling, facepainting etc. Children's party at the Whistledown at 6pm with outdoor bbq. A magic show on Fri am.

Warrenpoint
Level Contributor
496 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Carlingford

PS Warrenpoint is close enough from Carlingford for us to pop over there for a couple of hours via Newry if you're driving but you must take the boat over as I'm sure these will be running cos of the festival and it means you can have a pint of Guinness and not worry about driving!

Warrenpoint
Level Contributor
496 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Carlingford

sorry, that was the wrong website address - I left out the .com!!!

www.facebook.com/maidenofthemournes

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
226 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips from Carlingford

thanks for all the replies

We arrive in Carlingford tomorrow so I will post how we get on when I come back. Hopefully the weather will stay dry!!

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
226 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips from Carlingford

Well we had a great time in Carlingford.

As suggested we stopped for lunch en route in Fitzpatricks Pub and food was really lovely.

We then headed to Carlingford and checked into the Four seasons.Staff were very friendly and accomodating. The pool is nice although there was alot of mould/mildew on the handrails to the kids pool.

Breakfast and dinner in the hotel was also lovely and without fault except for some of the staff (well one really) who had a rude manner but the others made up for him.

The first day we just relaxed and went for a stroll around Carlingford which is a lovely village. We atopped for a drink in the Carlingford arms and they even gave the kids free crisps/sweets which is a nice touch when ur trying to keep 2 under 3 quiet.

The next day we went to Banbridge for a spot of shopping and then took the scenic route to Newry through Newcastle, Kilkeel, Warrenpoint. We had lunch in Warrenpoint. Then onto Newry for some more bargains!!!

The next day was a relaxing day with lunch in PJ O hares Anchor bar. It was nice but our orders were mixed up and my father in law ordered cod but got chicken.We didnt send it back as we had waited so long for food.

That afternoon we took the kids to the playcentre in Dundalk. We had planned on the boat to Warrenpoint but my 3 yr old decided NO and the weather wasnt great anyway.

All in all a great trip and the people of Louth/Down were fablous. Thank you.