We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meteora Attire

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Meteora Attire

Hi, We are headed to Meteora and we had a couple of questions regarding the dress code that we couldn't seem to get a clear answer on through the forums.

1. We are wondering if denim is permitted inside the monastery, or is there a requirement for linen/ khaki pants instead (for men & women).

2. Also, are sandals permitted, or should we have closed toed footwear?

3. We have read no shoulders for men & women, although some have said that a light shawl is acceptable to wear over top of bare shoulders. Has anyone had any experience or knowledge whether this is ok inside the monasteries?

Thanks for all your help!

Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
1. Re: Meteora Attire

As far as I can recall if your dress is deemed inappropriate, you will be given an all enveloping shapeless garment to wear.

I recall wearing sandals

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
200 posts
438 reviews
2. Re: Meteora Attire

There are no issues with sandals or other footwear.

The requirements are skirts below the knee for women and no shorts for men. No tank tops or sleeveless shirts for anyone.

You can use the garments provided if you have any of the above to cover up.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
15,986 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Meteora Attire

Sandals are fine, although I would recommend footwear that keeps your feet secure on uneven surfaces & many steps. Sturdy walking type sandals are better rather than strappy fashion sandals.

A woman wearing even long trousers is expected to put a wrapover skirt (provided at the entrance) over them - this is definitely not a high fashion moment! I think shirt sleeves are expected to be at least down to elbows. Actual fabric (ie denim) is not an issue, it is the dispaly of bare flesh that is to be avoided.

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
483 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Meteora Attire

When I went to Meteora I deliberately wore long trousers and a top which covered my arms but I was still made to wear a charming polyester wrapover thing! Once inside the monasteries there were a number of men wandering around in shorts and sleeveless t-shirts so it seems that it's one rule for women and another for the men.

Parga, Greece
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Meteora Attire

Got to agree with tspiouro about the footwear, we've seen a few flip-flops and, heavens above (no pun intended), some 100mm heels tottering up the steps.

I've never seen a man wearing shorts in five visits to Meteora but suppose it does happen occasionally although I'd like to see them try it at St Stehhens.

veganprin, do you really think it's one rule for women and another for men - hmmm, that's a tasty bone for this man to chew on.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
15,986 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Meteora Attire

I do remember at one monastery we visited unexpectedly (not Meteora) my male partner was wearing shorts & he was requested to put on one of the wrapover skirts! he looked very fetching in lime green polyester!!

I think the Greeks are too polite to actually refuse entrance to people - I was once invited into a monastery church near that was barred to women by one of the resident monks. My partner had gone inside & I was peeping in from the doorstep. I was wearing long trousers & thought the monk maybe mistook me for male so when he beckoned me in I indicated I was female. Nevertheless as there was no-one else around he made me welcome to step a little way inside & even explained some of the history of the place. Afterwards he gave us some sweets & a couple of postcards.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
200 posts
438 reviews
7. Re: Meteora Attire

I confirmed with our hotel that short slevees are fine and I had no problems at 4 places wearing a short sleeve t-shirt. I did see a few men who had wraps over their shorts.

8. Re: Meteora Attire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, June 22, 2013