We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Sunday in Gytheio (Gythion)

Which Gytheio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Safety Harbor...
Level Contributor
14 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
Easter Sunday in Gytheio (Gythion)

My wife and I will be cruising the Mediterranean on Holland America's Eurodam during the month of April. We will be in port at Gythion on EASTER SUNDAY (April 20). What are the likelihood that anything(!) will be open?? Assuming there are one or more churches in town, would we be able to attend Easter services there? Any other thoughts about visiting the town on Easter Sunday?? Thanks for your comments.

7 replies to this topic
Hollis, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Sunday in Gytheio (Gythion)

Hi, We are on the same cruise and were wondering the same thing. I would think/hope the Info desk on the ship would have some information that might be helpful. Since we get into port at 7AM, even tendering in to shore, we, I hope,would be early enough able to find a service. This is our third cruise on Holland America and they have had daily and Sunday Masses. I would think, or hope, there would also be services on board for passengers on this special holyday.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,660 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Sunday in Gytheio (Gythion)

The major services in Greece are at midnight on the Saturday night so will all be over by the time you arrive. You may well find something but it would be distinctly low key as the Greeks will be having their own private celebrations.

You could have chosen a better day to arrive, unfortunately.

Safety Harbor...
Level Contributor
14 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter Sunday in Gytheio (Gythion)

What about the town itself? Will all businesses be closed or not?

Iligan, Philippines
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Sunday in Gytheio (Gythion)

hi! my family and i will be on the same cruise as well! i searched online and found this --http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=103800--this was written in 2012 but I hope it's still the same...that Holland America has a catholic mass every day. That way, we can hear Easter mass on the 20th.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter Sunday in Gytheio (Gythion)

On Easter Sunday shops, businesses, museums, archaeological sites etc are closed. Local people will be at home with their families. Some towns in Greece do have some public celebrations on Easter Sunday but I'm not aware that Gytheio is one of them. You will probably be able to find one or two tavernas open for tourists. You will have missed the Easter church services, these take place at midnight on Saturday.

Edited: 6:34 pm, March 05, 2014
Safety Harbor...
Level Contributor
14 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter Sunday in Gytheio (Gythion)

Thanks for the replies. Looks like our timing is just not working out for this port. I guess we'll have Easter services on board the ship and then just stroll around the town. We're "seasoned" travelers, so we know you have to be flexible with schedules when it comes to international travel.

Hollis, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter Sunday in Gytheio (Gythion)

Sometimes just strolling leads to finding beauty that could be by-passed in an excursion. I'm still looking forward to the stop.

Reply to: Easter Sunday in Gytheio (Gythion)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted