We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to Dachau

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Topic
going to Dachau

I'll be in Munich Oct. 26, 2012. Does anyone know the best way to get to Dachau from Munich and are there tours of the concentration camp available? If so, is a tour advisable? Thanks?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going to Dachau

Yes I think a tour is a good idea. To get to Dachau, you either take the S-Bahn (S 2 in the direction Petershausen) or a commuter train to Ingolstadt that stops at Dachau.

You can find train connections at www.bahn.de and S-Bahn connections at www.mvv-muenchen.de Once you are at Dachau, you need to take a bus to the memorial - I once walked it and it took me 45 minutes. You can also find the bus connections at the MVV site; the address of the memorial is "Alte Römerstr. 75"

I'm not sure when the English tours start, you can look it up at www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: going to Dachau

Thanks so much for the information!!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going to Dachau

Do you mean join an organized tour from central Munich - or join a tour at the memorial site?

I would recommend joining a tour once you arrive at Dachau - the one I joined was very interesting and well guided. It is easy enough to travel to the site unguided, and much cheaper.

The town of Dachau is in itself worth a visit if you have time. From the grounds of the shloss on a clear day you can see for miles across Munich.

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: going to Dachau

Thanks, I will be joining a tour at the camp in the Dachau.

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: going to Dachau

I am visiting Munich the last week of October. Would anyone know the best way to get to Salzburg, Austria from central Munich. I'm staying near the main station, the Hauptbahnhof, in Munich. Thanks.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,858 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: going to Dachau

Avery - it is always best to start a new thread when asking about about something entirely different. That way your question wont get lost or the answers confused with those for the original question. That said, take the train. Tou can see schedules on www.dbahn.de. Very easy.

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: going to Dachau

Thanks!

8. Re: going to Dachau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, August 30, 2014