We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concentration Camp - Dachau or Sachsenhausen?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Concentration Camp - Dachau or Sachsenhausen?

Hello - my bestfriend and I are traveling to Europe this Fall and are torn between two concentration camps. We are traveling to Germany - Berlin and Munich. For the best concentration camp visit, which would be best - Dachau (near Munich) or Sachsenhausen (near Berlin)? Ideally - Auschwitz would have been the place to go but we are not visiting Poland. We are visiting Prague but not sure those would be better than the ones mentioned above. Basically - we are looking for the best experience given this will be our first and likely last time visiting a camp. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

27 replies to this topic
New Jersey
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Concentration Camp - Dachau or Sachsenhausen?

Cokebottle

We were in Prague and Budapest in 2011 and after much discussion did a day trip to Auschwitz-Birkenau

Many people in Prague tried to dissuade us from going, saying it was too far, not worth the time or expense, why not go to Terezin instead. (Terezin is in Prague). But we chose Auschwitz, and it was absolutely the most moving and chilling experience of our lives.

So if you are going to Prague, and have a day to spare, save it for Auschwitz.

We hired a private car and driver since we were 5, and the drive is almost 6 hours each way, with about 3-4 hours spent there. Money well spent.

Edited: 6:55 pm, April 09, 2013
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,544 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Concentration Camp - Dachau or Sachsenhausen?

Which camp has more original buildings? Also which one is bigger or takes longer to tour?

1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Concentration Camp - Dachau or Sachsenhausen?

I haven't been to Dachau but I have to sachsenhausen .it was very grim and also a lot is left . The thing that was most surreal to me was that is surrounded by suburbia. This is contemporary to the camp judging by the architecture

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,269 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Concentration Camp - Dachau or Sachsenhausen?

The important thing to do is to distinguish death camps from concentration camps- not that they didn't exist on the same site in some cases.

Dachau was built pretty much as a prison, to keep particular types of people concentrated together. That people died there wasn't necessarily the plan, but a mere by-product of gruesome events, including what have been called medical experiments. To me that casualness makes it chilling in a different way.

It's certainly well worth a visit, even a really short visit.

And it's so easy (and cheap) to do from Munich.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
76 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Concentration Camp - Dachau or Sachsenhausen?

I went to Sachsenhausen last month w/ Insider Tours. Had an excellent guide who gave us good insight into it's history. You can easily spend an entire day there reading all the panels of information. We left Berlin at 10am & returned around 4pm. It makes for a long day as you're standing most of the time. It's a very somber place w/ lots to see. Walking on the road leading up to it feels strange as there are homes there now where people live & part of the grounds are currently being used by the German police for training exercises.

new york
Level Contributor
305 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Concentration Camp - Dachau or Sachsenhausen?

How do we do this tour from Munich?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,544 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Concentration Camp - Dachau or Sachsenhausen?

munichwalktours.de/en/…

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,979 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Concentration Camp - Dachau or Sachsenhausen?

try the 'things to do' link in the top green bar - lots listed

you can easily do Dachau DIY - train to the Dachau station then bus to the camp or to find out what/how others have done use the search box directly above the original post on this thread (or on the forum front page) - filter on the right if necessary for date/relevance

new york
Level Contributor
305 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Concentration Camp - Dachau or Sachsenhausen?

We always like to have a tour guide so we can get as much information and insight as possible. It seems we can get a tour at Dachau for 3 Euros or from munichwalktours.de for 22 Euros(rail cost included). What is the cost of rail if we use the tour at Dachau? Which do you suggest?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,544 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Concentration Camp - Dachau or Sachsenhausen?

I'm curious how long do you tend to stay at either camp in order to view everything?

Reply to: Concentration Camp - Dachau or Sachsenhausen?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted