We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in Eureka, would love suggestions!

Which Eureka Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moore, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
16 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
1st time in Eureka, would love suggestions!

The Boyfriend and I are headed to Eureka Springs for a little get away for my birthday. We will be coming up on a motorcycle and are looking for some fun things to do and places to eat while we are there. Would love any suggestions. Staying at the Look Out Lodge.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in Eureka, would love suggestions!

First of all, there are so many cool things in and around Eureka that everyone will have something to suggest!

Here are my favorites:

* Sights in Eureka:

- By foot: My main fun is walking around the lower historic downtown and the historic residential neighborhoods up and around the steep hillsides leading from the downtown. Just park your bikes and head out, prowling around corners and looking for unusual buildings, stairs leading up the hills, shops and music venues. Climb a few hills!

- Short distances by bike: Turpentine Creek www.turpentinecreek.org If you get into wildlife refuges, check this website. Thorncrown Chapel www.thorncrown.com It's just off the highway just outside of town and it was voted one of the most beautiful buildings of the 20th century. Don't miss it - you might try NOT looking at the website and just being surprised by this great place! I think it is still free.

- Restaurants: Everyone has their favorites. Mine is Local Flavor. www.localflavorcafe.net but you won't go wrong with others' favorites. There is a great variety here and mostly very good.

- Longer distances by bike: (1-1/2 hrs) Bentonville to see what our Walmart bucks have bought - even if you don't like art. you will love the Walton's Crystal Bridges Museum. Unreal - and free! crystalbridges.org Then the other place if you like short hikes in beattiful land, head to what we call Buffalo River Country - Ponca and Boxley areas - the river may be low for paddling but hikes to Whitaker Point and Lost Valley can be spectacular. (Don't drink alcohol before going to Whitaker - also called Hawksbill Crag- you have to pay attention to the trail) - and you might check rainfall levels before hiking into Lost Valley - the falls wind down as the rain subsides.

Edited: 8:07 pm, May 19, 2014
Moore, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
16 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in Eureka, would love suggestions!

Thank you! Thank you!

missouri
Level Contributor
98 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in Eureka, would love suggestions!

Sparkys roadhouse on 62 has a wide variety of food and is really good, For Italian we prefer Ermillios on white street, its a small restaurant in an old house, so you prob have to wait for a table, but so worth it.

We also like to go to the top floor of the crescent hotel and have a drink on their outside patio as the sun goes down while looking across the hills and valleys. We like to just drive around and just look at the different buildings and springs.

Corinth, Texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time in Eureka, would love suggestions!

Blue Springs is a beautiful natural spring that the Cherokee stopped for a rest during the Trail of Tears. There are several caves in the area worth a visit. They conduct tours through many of those.

Awesome steaks at Gaskin's Cabin outside of town, near Holiday Island. The steam train at the edge of town also has dinner runs, which are fun.

Don't forget to visit the Passion Play and Christ of the Ozarks. He can't be missed!

Roaring River just across the Missouri state line is worth the trip to visit the trout hatchery with places to trout fish and picnic. There is also a nearby restaurant if you don't bring food.

Moore, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
16 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time in Eureka, would love suggestions!

Thank you! Thank you!

Ozark, Missouri
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time in Eureka, would love suggestions!

We went there this weekend, really nice place. What a beautiful ride. There are several roads there that are quite challenging on a bike, lots of drops and turns and farm land. we were especially concerned with the amount of gravel on some of the roads and parking areas. This weekend was probably the most hectic as it was Memorial Day Weekend. There was not much parking downtown for my wife who drove our car and took pictures of the trip with the kids in the car, WHAT A TROOPER.... Bikes are obviously a lot easier to park, just plan ahead. We are definitely going back to Eureka Springs and staying downtown next time. We want to do the Ghost Tours at the local hotel as it is supposedly one of the Most Haunted Places in the USA. Another really nice stop was Cosmic Cave. A nice tour, great guides and a lot of interesting information on the cave. Amazingly these things are found on accident. That is definitely worth the time.

We stayed in Bentonville and there are a lot of eating places there. It is however quite a ride from Eureka Springs. The ride is nice on bike though so staying anywhere in the area is ok.

The downtown area of Eureka Springs is a bit unique and if you are using GPS, be careful as it tends to screw you up while driving. I had the hardest time finding the Harley Davidson Dealer there. The GPS brought me to a place that is the new shop for PigTrail HD, but it is not open yet. Just continue on down the road as it is in a strip mall.

The HD dealer(outlet) is a bit small and they do not have a lot of selection there for cleaning supplies etc, but have a pretty good clothing selection.

One more thing, there is a Indian/Burger joint there that claims to have the best burgers, don't fall for it. The service was terrible and the food was not that great. My bun fell apart as it seemed to be getting stale and the wait staff was interesting. Totally ADD, their attention was being drawn into 30 different directions and they could not get what you needed in a timely fashion. I would not recommend that place to anyone. We finally figured out that their were the best burgers because by the time you got it you were sooo hungry that anything would taste good.

I hope that this helps.

7. Re: 1st time in Eureka, would love suggestions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 29, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Eureka Springs