We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can we kayak/canoe in early July?

Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Where can we kayak/canoe in early July?

My friends and I are going to Eureka Springs July 10th for a few days. I had planned for us to kayak on the Buffalo River but looks like it's too low. Please send me other float options around the area. Also, if you know of any places that rent tubes for a lazy float near Eureka Springs, I would appreciate that, too. Thanks!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can we kayak/canoe in early July?

I would go on the Buffalo, just to see it - but you will need to go way down stream. The short afternoon stretch of Buffalo Point to the ghost town of Rush is my fav easy summer stretch on the river. Though short and with absolutely no challenge, and probably a little dragging here and there, you can make an afternoon of it, swimming in holes around big rocks under bluffs, eating on the gravel bars, seeing the big bluffs, watching the hawks, and looking at the ghost town. Go on a week day if poss. Aside from that, you can get on any of the rivers below the Corps dams, like the White, but the water is usually pretty cold I think and not nearly as clear and fun as the natural streams. You might talk to adventuremountainoutfitters.com in Eureka. They can set you up on a White River trip, but I would go for the lower Buffalo.

Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can we kayak/canoe in early July?

Thank you for the information. I have contacted some outfitters on the middle/upper Buffalo and am waiting to hear from them. I looked at the White River but it doesn't seem like what we want. I am now wondering about the King's River and will research that, too.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can we kayak/canoe in early July?

I inquired earlier this week and was told that Kings is still navigable but barely. Don't forget the big variable...RAIN! It poured in Little Rock today and these rivers can rise very quickly with a little precipitation. Watch the rainfall figures and keep your options open...

4. Re: Where can we kayak/canoe in early July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, October 06, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Eureka Springs