We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vallnord or Grandvallira for beginners?

Which Pas de la Casa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Vallnord or Grandvallira for beginners?

Hi,

Can anyone(for those who know both) help me for the best place to begin skiing?

Vallnord or Grandvallira ? and which section?

Thank you.

Stockport England
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vallnord or Grandvallira for beginners?

Grandvalira, Soldeu would get my vote by a long way.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,405 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vallnord or Grandvallira for beginners?

I second that Stockport, along with my family and many of my friends.

LxEagle, I have written reviews of Hotel Sport Village, and Hotel Piolets ( last year' s hol) and also described Soldeu and ski facts in those reviews.

Look on the Soldeu forum, as someone has booked their 1st ski hol in Soldeu, and has been asking questions which we have answered.

We have been skiing in Soldeu for about 18 years, my sons are excellent skiiers from the tuition there, and they still rate Soldeu as their top resort. It has a very friendly atmosphere, and is well positioned in the centre of the 5 resorts included in the Grand Valira area pass.

Pas De La Casa is a large town, not very pretty, and the skiing in general is steeper than Soldeu, so you may find it limiting. It is also higher, so above the tree line, and usually colder here than In Soldeu, which is lower, so has trees and often sunnier clearer weather.

If you can do a snowplough turn and stop, you can ski everywhere on blue runs, and will not be going up and down the same slopes all the time.

I really recommend you take some lessons at a dry slope first if poss, so you can at least do a snowplough turn and stop. You could then book the Improvers Package which includes area lift pass, equipment and ski school. This package makes your lessons almost free, you save a lot of money.

You will not waste your first day learning how to put boots and skis on!!

Everyone doing ski school is assessed on the first morning- you go up and down a SMALL slope, using a button lift. If you can do this, you will not be in the beginners class, and can get skiing immediately!

You can be moved up/down during the week, depending how you get on, but as Andorra employs British instructors, they make it fun as well as great tuition.

Anything else, please ask.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,405 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vallnord or Grandvallira for beginners?

I second that Stockport, along with my family and many of my friends.

LxEagle, I have written reviews of Hotel Sport Village, and Hotel Piolets ( last year' s hol) and also described Soldeu and ski facts in those reviews.

Look on the Soldeu forum, as someone has booked their 1st ski hol in Soldeu, and has been asking questions which we have answered.

We have been skiing in Soldeu for about 18 years, my sons are excellent skiiers from the tuition there, and they still rate Soldeu as their top resort. It has a very friendly atmosphere, and is well positioned in the centre of the 5 resorts included in the Grand Valira area pass.

Pas De La Casa is a large town, not very pretty, and the skiing in general is steeper than Soldeu, so you may find it limiting. It is also higher, so above the tree line, and usually colder here than In Soldeu, which is lower, so has trees and often sunnier clearer weather.

If you can do a snowplough turn and stop, you can ski everywhere on blue runs, and will not be going up and down the same slopes all the time.

I really recommend you take some lessons at a dry slope first if poss, so you can at least do a snowplough turn and stop. You could then book the Improvers Package which includes area lift pass, equipment and ski school. This package makes your lessons almost free, you save a lot of money.

You will not waste your first day learning how to put boots and skis on!!

Everyone doing ski school is assessed on the first morning- you go up and down a SMALL slope, using a button lift. If you can do this, you will not be in the beginners class, and can get skiing immediately!

You can be moved up/down during the week, depending how you get on, but as Andorra employs British instructors, they make it fun as well as great tuition.

Anything else, please ask.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,405 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vallnord or Grandvallira for beginners?

Whooops! Gremlin in the works.

Northern Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vallnord or Grandvallira for beginners?

Last year was our first ever ski holiday to El Tarter in Andorra - a family of four - 2 x adults and 2 x kids. It was fantastic and the facilities of the Grand Vallira were first class. The English ski school was top rate, I believe it is the same right across the Grand Vallira. our skiing was based on the El Tarter slopes with access to all the slopes of the Grand Vallira thanks to the lift pass which covers all slopes of the area.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,405 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vallnord or Grandvallira for beginners?

Glad you had a great holiday in El Tarter. I like this area for skiing, and it is often sunny when Soldeu is in cloud, as it is a lower resort. There is a lovely tree lined run all the way from El Tarter down to the Soldeu gondola/ chairlift.

We did a good tobogganing evening on the slopes here, with bumboards, trays and huge tyres, and had a meal in the restaurant on the slopes afterwards. It was quite spooky going down in the gondola in the dark !

The reason we prefer to stay in Soldeu, is because it is the centre of the 5 ski areas, and the gondola goes up from the high street, so not very far from most of the hotels. I think it is more lively than El Tarter for apres ski bars and clubs.

7. Re: Vallnord or Grandvallira for beginners?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 19, 2010