We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding a hotel using expedia

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
78 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Finding a hotel using expedia

What a nightmare! I had to pester the hotel to get expedia to own up to my cancellation notice. Thanks to the staff at Ramada on 32nd for all they put up with in sorting this out. The most I got out of this was a headache, a large phone bill & useless reps who don't seem to have managers available. Now I know better & will always book thru the hotel directly or in person. There's no discount, it's a ploy. Unhappy

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,176 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding a hotel using expedia

Expedia and most other booking sites are only valuable for getting low rates on unsaleable inventory. When you use these sites you should not expect anything in the way of services from the hotel itself. They're not making any significant profit on you, so they don't owe you anything but the room at the rate.

It's a trade off. Only you can decide what is most important to you. Save a few bucks or enjoy decent service.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,375 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding a hotel using expedia

Glad you realized that. You can occasionally get a good deal through one of the web sites (especially Hotwire) but their cancellation policies are typically very restrictive (especially Expedia, who owns this site) whereas that of the hotel is often same-day. But, you're right, it's often the same price if not cheaper to go through the hotel directly, and many of the smaller, independent hotels will actually give you a better rate if you call and negotiate with them a bit, since the travel sites take a pretty big cut.

All travel sites have call centers which are owned by third-parties. I worked in one of these briefly (probably the worst job of my life), but doing tech support and, I can tell you, that there really aren't supervisors when you ask for them, they're just more experienced people who walk around, answer questions and take these calls. Asking for a supervisor will not get you a real supervisor, and the process only used to allow the customer to vent more. This is the case with all large call centers though, not just Expedia's. At least they've stopped outsourcing overseas to an extent.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,465 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding a hotel using expedia

"Expedia and most other booking sites are only valuable for getting low rates on unsaleable inventory."

Sorry, RedRox, cannot agree with that at all. Expedia, and Travelocity, Orbitz and others, are online travel services which allow a person to see what is available from one source. They are not in the business of selling unsaleable inventory.

I have used Travelocity since it was EaasySabre on Compuserve for business and personal travel. It allows me to see what hotels are available in a particular area and pinpointing my destination. It allows me to make comparisons on hotels and travel itineraries. It sometimes gets me a rate which is not available from a hotel chain, and I emphasize that I have never experienced differential treatment as a result of having a discounted rate, even with Hotwire. I always also check rates directly from the hotel or chain before booking. I have used online travel services since they were first available in the early 80's, and would guess I have made 3/4 of my travel reservations for business and personal travel that way.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,176 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding a hotel using expedia

OK Bobbear, I'll concede that they do give the convenience of viewing an overview of comparable rates. But my personal experience with booking through those sites has always involved a sacrifice of services from the ultimate provider. I have learned that it is best to get the rate quotes from the booking sites and then negotiate with the accomodations of choice directly. Booking with the hotel itself always generates a more personal relationship, and I value that personal service.

Price is important, but service and respect for the customer are the most important to me.

I wouldn't normally argue the point, but since that was the premise of the OP I feel it's valid.

You are an expert and I commend you for all you give to this site.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding a hotel using expedia

I'm going to have to agree with everyone on this.

I love using those sites for good deals but I also call the hotels as well. Just to see if they have a better deal. Usually not though. I like the fact you can view the rooms and locations on a map with phone numbers (local).

But as with any booking for anything travel related if there are any changes of any type if you don't keep track of who you talked to and double check with the hotels after the reservation has been made or cancled it can be an issue.

Personally I have never had problems even with a change or cancelation myself but I know from booking enough trips for other people that it can happen and can be a night mare, some times. Always keep a good track record of everything and write down names of people you talked to and the time and date you talked to them and how long you were on the phone. Also if you don't get the answer you want from the person you are talking to go straight to a manager that is what they are there for. Details details details!

Glad it all worked out for you in the end though.

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Finding a hotel using expedia

When booking our room last week for Scottsdale...it was cheaper for me to phone directly the hotel and get the discount with my AAA. Also, the hotel offered the same discount for those using the doctor that performed the eye surgery on my husband. Can't help but wonder if the hotel gives the same discount to other doctor's patients that are near the hotel.

Plus...after reading reviews on one of the more popular hotel locating sites...found there was an additional $16 for going though them for the discount....go figure?

yep...it was easier to just phone the hotel in our case.

7. Re: Finding a hotel using expedia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, September 25, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Yuma