We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay

Midlands
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay

Hi guys coming from, MV we have 3nights before going to south rim at GC. Do we travel down 59 picking up 191 and stay 3 nights at la posada (could we chill and fill the time) or do we take slower pace and stay 1 night at holbrook and then 2 nights at la posada. .. thanks for advise

5 replies to this topic
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,141 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay

Can't imagine spending 3 nights in Winslow. Just nothing there. When is this trip?

"59" is a reservation road. I personally have no idea if it is paved, but it would be remote and desolate.

If you did go down Hwy 191, you are passing through Chinle. It is possible to stay there and see Canyon de Chelly.

Otherwise, I would either change the nights at GCNP, or stay in Flagstaff a few days and do day trips from there, including Sedona, Wupatki, Walnut Canon.

Boston...
Level Contributor
851 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay

BIA 59 is paved and it is a very scenic road.

I agree with Bob on 3 nights in Winslow--way too much. From MV, I would also consider visiting Canyon de Chelly. You can also make stops at the Hubbell Trading Post and the Painted Desert / Petrified Forest NP (if you're not traveling during the govt shutdown; you didn't mention a timeframe).

Holbrook has the wigwam motel which is fun for a night. Winslow is a pretty depressed town. Get that snapshot standin' on a corner and move on!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,166 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay

I would spend 2 nights in Winslow, the La Posada Hotel is about all that is going on in town. Homolovi State Park is just outside of town, ruins of prehistoric Hopi pueblos. La Posada Hotel is fun to visit and relax at. The Turquoise Room has wonderful food.

Midlands
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay

Hi guys many thanks , so no it seems highway 191 to chinle with a ooss 1night stay over then onto winslow 2nights at la posada? We going next june. After staying 2nights bright angel GC we are basing ourselves in sedona for 5nights. We aim to do flagstaff, william, sedona up to kingman (hire harley for 3 days) in this time , then 2nights in phoenix before flying home x

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay

Winslow doesnot have many attractions but with staying at La Posada you can make daytrips to petrified Forest, Painted desert park, Homolovi Ruins and see places for R66. La Posada certainly is worth staying. 2 nights Chinle for exploring Canyon de Chelly are recommended though. 59 used to be called BIA59 bur now it's IR59 and it's all paved and a good road. I presume you mean Monument Valley and not Mesa verde with "MV"

Reply to: where to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted