We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pheonix Airport to Williams, AZ by car-- Which route?

United States
Level Contributor
14 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Pheonix Airport to Williams, AZ by car-- Which route?

We will be driving from PHX to Williams-- is there a more enjoyable and safe way to get there besides I-17N?

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pheonix Airport to Williams, AZ by car-- Which route?

You might swing up through Wickenburg on Highway 60 then through Prescott on Highway 89. Map ->: http://goo.gl/maps/DQPBX I traveled that route once, albeit ~20 years ago, but it was nice.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,858 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pheonix Airport to Williams, AZ by car-- Which route?

I-17 to I-40 is not only safe and efficient, it is very scenic. Take the short detour on 179 to 89A through Sedona to improve the scenic aspect exponentially.

Why may I ask are you going to Williams?

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,714 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pheonix Airport to Williams, AZ by car-- Which route?

I agree that I-17 IS scenic, as is taking the detour through Sedona.

United States
Level Contributor
14 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pheonix Airport to Williams, AZ by car-- Which route?

Going to Williams for 2 days to GCNP and see Bearizona, then on to Winslow to see the meteor crater and Petrified Forest, then back to Sedona for a few days.

United States
Level Contributor
14 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pheonix Airport to Williams, AZ by car-- Which route?

That looks interesting. Thank you!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,858 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pheonix Airport to Williams, AZ by car-- Which route?

I would advise trying to stay closer to GCNP. If you can't get anything in the park, try Tusayan just outside the park gates.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,714 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pheonix Airport to Williams, AZ by car-- Which route?

I agree with RR. Williams is an hour from the GCNP. It's much better to stay inside the park, or at least nearby in Tusayan, so that you can see sunrise and sunset, and to avoid wasting time driving back and forth.

Arizona
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pheonix Airport to Williams, AZ by car-- Which route?

For Phoenix to Williams, you might want to drive 1-17 to I-40 direct and save the scenic drive down 89A for your Petrified Forest to Sedona trip. I would also recommend having lunch in the town of Jerome during your Sedona visit. Williams is a wonderful town with a great Route 66 heritage. In addition to Bearizona there are many cute shops and restaurants. Many guests enjoy the fact that you can walk almost everywhere in Williams. If you will be staying between Memorial Day and Labor day, there is a free western shoot out on Route 66 every night. Horse drawn carriages are also available in the evenings. The Grand Canyon is about 50 miles north of Williams.

9. Re: Pheonix Airport to Williams, AZ by car-- Which route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, April 15, 2014