We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train or drive

Which Williams hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
train or drive

We are visiting the GC area mid March and are driving from Las Vegas to Phoenix(one way only). We are planning on spending one night in the Grand Canyon and then on to

Sedona for 2 nights. Would it be more worthiwhile taking the train from Williams returning and spending the night there, or driving from LV to GC and spending the night in GC somewhere. I have tried for the past month to book El Tovar but they are fully booked...thanks.;

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train or drive

It sounds like you aren't interested too much in the train itself. And in that case I'd have to say drive yourself up there. It will give you more time at the canyon itself. The train is nice for some but isn't scenic and only allows you 3 hrs stay there. Although you could take the train up one day stay over night and come back the next day as an option. OpenRoadTours.com does pick up from Williams and drops off at the canyon as an option if you don't want to drive but have more time there.

Good Luck with the el Tovar. Hopefully someone will cancle.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: train or drive

that is the first time i have ever heard desertfly describe the train like it really is.

the next best option for hotels in northern arizona is

www.littleamerica.com

rather than take the train we suggest

www.angelsgatetours

for small personalized tours of the grand canyon.

Williams, Arizona
Level Contributor
92 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train or drive

You have a couple of options. You could drive to the Canyon and most likely could find a place to stay. That does give you more time to spend at the Canyon. The Grand Canyon Railway is another Great option. You take the Train from Williams in the morning and return in the evening. You can add a overnight stay if you wish and can set that up with the Grand Canyon Railway. 1-800-thetrain. Another great option is a tour guide trip. I recommend Marvelous Marv's Tours. He has done these tours for longer than anyone in Northern Arizona. He picks you up at your hotel in the morning and delivers you back to your hotel that evening. You have a great deal of time at the Canyon and he knows all the secret places that others miss. He has his own website at marvelousmarv.com I believe. Just do a search for Marvelous Marv Tours on the internet.

Cloud 9
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train or drive

If you like slow moving relaxing train trips its great but if you want more time I'd drive yourself. The train is always a good experience if you have kids they seem to be facinated by the whole thing. But it dosen't give you a whole lot of time at the canyon.