We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona to Grand Canyon and then back to Phoenix advise pleas

Which Williams hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona to Grand Canyon and then back to Phoenix advise pleas

We are flying into Phoenix on July 3 and driving to Sedona. We are planning at least three nights in Sedona but we are considering leaving on the 6th and staying closer to the Grand Canyon before we fly out on the 7th. We leave on the 7th at 3 p.m from Phoenix airport. Is it worth leaving Sedona for Williams for the night or should we stay closer to the park?We are just nervous about a drive that will be too long on the 7th if we stay closer to the park. or shoud we could just drive back to Sedona on the 6th after visiting the park and pop into Williams for the sights. We love the idea of an old western town.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,192 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona to Grand Canyon and then back to Phoenix advise pleas

No need to leave your Sedona base for the GCNP unless you can get very close, either inside the park, or in the town of Tusayan, just outside the gate. Staying in Williams is barely half way there and a poor trade off for Sedona IMO.

You'll realize once you arrive in Sedona that you want to stay as long as you can. But try to get a single night at the GCNP.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com Call Xanterra everyday, and hopefully you'll get a cancellation. Don't worry about which hotel becomes available (if one does), just book it and be glad you lucked out.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona to Grand Canyon and then back to Phoenix advise pleas

Thank you for your message. We arrive at 5:30 p.m at Phoenix and will leave at that time for Sedona. Is it safe at that time of night? It's on the 3rd and I thought it would be better to continue with our journey and avoid the traffic on the 4th.

Do you have any ideas for a Rt 66 stop off on our drive to the Grand Canyon? My parents are joining us and they are interested in showing our boys a little of the old highway and anything to do with the wild west. Also, while I have your attention, is La Quinta hotel too far out of Sedona to really enjoy? The price is right but it's 5 miles away. We are also considering the Hampton Inn.

I will check out the hotels in the park but I am wondering if a four hour drive back down to Sedona is too much for us on the 6th since we fly out at 3 p.m. I am also hoping we don't hit a lot of traffic trying to get into the park. We may just stick with some of the view points from the south rim.

Thank you!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,192 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona to Grand Canyon and then back to Phoenix advise pleas

If you arrive PHX at 5:30 you can be on the road by 6:30 and in Sedona by 8:30. the sun will be setting, but you should be all right.

La Quinta is in VOC and very easy to find with fabulous views of Bell Rock, Courthouse Butte and Castle Rock. Hampton Inn is another 15 minutes farther into West Sedona. It's probably a little nicer, but no trade off in terms of location IMO.

If you go to the main gate of the GCNP you will pass through Williams and you can see remnants of RT 66 there. They also have attempted to recreate an old western town atmosphere. You might do better though by entering the east gate of the park near Cameron and exiting the main gate. this will help you to avoid and drive against the flow of heaviest holiday traffic. Then stop in Williams on your way back to Sedona or PHX.

Sedona is only 2 hours from the GCNP, and 2 hours from PHX.

The South Rim IS the park. You must enter the GCNP if you expect to see the Grand canyon. There is no other way.

Edited: 11:43 am, June 14, 2010
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona to Grand Canyon and then back to Phoenix advise pleas

Personally, I would go to Williams for a night. In my experience it is much more quaint than Sedona and although not as pretty, has a certain charm about it that cannot be beat. There are some nice outside restaurants with entertainment to enjoy as well as shops and a cute cowboy show.

5. Re: Sedona to Grand Canyon and then back to Phoenix advise pleas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 28, 2010