We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

our trip to williams and GC

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
our trip to williams and GC

DAY 14

Up 730am, packed few bags and got a taxi to circus circus to pick up a convertible. It’s black with an automatic soft –top. Who do we think we are??? Mrs. T drove and I navigated, we headed north out of vegas but realised and soon got back on track to the Hoover Dam. It was red hot 91*F, so we took some photos then put the top up and the air-con on!!

Did the Dam tour which was good, really informative, took lots of pics and then walked over to the Arizona side. Back across and had a meal in the café there. We left about 2pm and I drove most of the way to Williams.

We stopped a couple of times along the way at these “road house” type places,the roads were long and straight, just like u see on the road trip films. I’d hate to run out of petrol…… (gas)

Just lots of hills, rocks,and shrubbery….

Arrived @ motel 6 (west?) and were given a room overlooking a “field” with old car wrecks in it!!! Not bothered for 1 night!

It was cold and windy and I’d only brought T-shirts with me from vegas!! I was freezing. Went out for a wander round and ended up eating at a buffet place ( can’t remember the name) it was busy in there, then we headed to “the world famous sultana’s pub” for a few drinks. There were only a few folk in there, dunno where all the tourists went to?? Got talking to two girls in there from the Grand Canyon who gave us tips on what to see.

We then move onto “the canyon club” which wasn’t busy either so we played “shuffle board” (a much larger version of our shove a hapenny!).

In here the fun started, a guy ran out of the back door as a woman barged in the front. She stormed to the bar, picked up his cigs, lighter etc. downed his drink and slammed the glass down!!!! We were gobsmacked!!! Shocked! Amazed!

He came back in and got another drink, she came back in, they went out the front where a bit of a domestic went on! Was this our entertainment for the night??

Went back to the sultana which was busier, there were even real cowboys drinking at the bar ( well they had hats on!)

We played pool and got talking to the locals who we have to say were really friendly to us. We had a great laugh in there and really enjoyed ourselves thanks to you locals! The drinks were flowing well! I think we staggered back to the hotel about 3am. Mrs T went to sleep and I felt hungry so I went to the lobby for snacks. The night watchman had to do the machine for me I was so p*ssed ( drunk).

I woke up later on the hotel stairs surrounded by chocolates and crisps (chips)….bed.

DAY 15

Awoken by maids at 11am. Had a quick shower and checked out. So much for our plans for an early start!!! Went to see the bartenders mam, who’s from the UK ( we said we’d go for breakfast to their hotel (buffalo pointe) but obviously slept in) anyhow we met his dad. Went to the country pine place for breakfast (steak!!) but we were so hungover we couldn’t eat it. Set off for grand canyon. Found it easily. $25 to get in and it was even colder up there….we didn’t know about how high it was, just thought it was the same warmth as vegas. Stupid. There was even snow up there!!!

We went to different view points and it was very very windy there. I almost got blown over the edge at one point when a sudden gust got up. We bought souveniers and a meal ( we couldn’t eat that either!!). we were there about 5-6 hours and wanted to stay for the sunset as we’d heard it was good how things changed colour. Anyhow, it got colder and colder and the mist came. Nothing was a clear view so we got the shuttlebus back to the car, had a hot drink and set off for Williams as I wanted a “route66” metal sign. We considered calling in sultanas but decided against it as we knew we’d never get out sober!! LOL

Called & got sign and in safeway for some snacks then set off after directing some people towards vegas and filling up with gas.

Went back exactly the same way as we’d came, except it was pitch black. The dam looked good a lit up though.

We found vegas no prob and even got in the hotel carpark ok. Were in room by 1am. Not bad as we’d left Williams 930pm.

Thought about going out, but it was just a thought!!! We were knackered and went to bed!!! LOL

anyhow, if anyone reading this knows anyone who i'm on about, let them know from us that williams and it's people made our trip. thanx.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: our trip to williams and GC

Hey Tom I'm just cracking up on your description for the Sultana Club. Its completely accurate and typical. And they do make strong drinks not for the light weights. They use to have really good green chili there but I haven't eaten there in years. Some of us locals are a little rough around the edges so to speak but we do know how to have a good time ;)

Sorry about the wind but its been unusually windy and slightly colder than normal. But it sounds as if you had a good time.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: our trip to williams and GC

u locals were no more rough around the edges than us!! we fitted in gr8 and loved your little town (city?). one of the joys of travelling is meeting the locals and getting to know them. they were fab.

we did the usual USA thing of tipping the bar staff (unusual for us UK folk but when in rome....) and we got drinks bought for us. even the luvly girl behind the bar in canyon, bought us a drink when she came into the sultana, how nice was that?

we were just amazed that none of the other tourists we saw earlier came out drinking in the bars.....did they go to bed???

yes , we were suprised at the wind, talked to people who'd been there the previous day and they said it'd been dead calm. typical our luck with the weather.!!!

if anyone's interested, ( or can be bothered to read it) LOL. i've started a trip report from san francisco ( on their forum). then it'll continue onto vegas forum.

also will post photos when i get round to it....u might recognise a few williams faces........

cheers......tom

3. Re: our trip to williams and GC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, September 26, 2009