We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Williams

UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Williams

I am planning a trip to the US from UK next spring, and I would like to spend 3 days at the Grand Canyon. I am hoping to fly in from Iowa (probably Des Moines or Cedar Rapids) to either Las Vegas or Phoenix. I do not drive, what public transport is available to Williams...........I've looked at Greyhound and it doesn't appear to run to Williams?

I am hoping to do the GC train trip, spending one night in Williams one at GC and then back at Williams. I thought the Holiday Inn at Williams sounded reasonable and also central, any comments?

Also what about luggage, I guess I have to take it all with me rather than being able to leave it at the hotel? What accommodation is available at GC, I dont want anything too expensive! Again can I leave the luggage at the hotel until I pick up the return train to Williams in the afternoon?

Thank you.

Williams, Arizona
Level Contributor
92 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Williams

Hi Sunshine, There is Greyhound service and it does stop in Williams. Amtrac (train) also has service to Williams. The Greyhound service arrives in the evening as I recall and Amtrac also comes into the station in the evening. Both arrive a bit late as I recall so make sure to check on arrival time so you can either have Smittys taxi service pick you up or make arrangement with the hotel you are staying at to help you get to their location. The Grand Canyon Railway has a shuttle that picks up at the train station and I also think they will pick you up at the Greyhound drop station which is a service station and Subway shop. Because you are going to ride the train they will pick you up and take you to their facility. If you choose to stay at a hotel other than the Grand Canyon Railway site, several nice motels are within easy walking distance. The Canyon Country Inn is a good place to stay, Motel 6 (east and west) both are good. Holiday Inn is close to where the bus drops off and they might be able to help you get to their location.. They are not that close to the downtown area like the others I mentioned. I would also contact the Grand Canyon Railway to set up your train trip and they can also make arrangements for you to do your overnight stay at the Grand Canyon. If you need further info. just post on this forum and we will get back to you with answers if possible....

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Williams

Also Open Road Tours picks up from the Phx airport and drops off in either Flagstaff, Williams or the GC s rim. www.openroadtours.com their cost was about $75 rt might have gone up since. You can also fly into Flagstaff as well. Most of Williams is "central" haha its a small town. You could probably leave the luggage at the hotel while you are out and about.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,265 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Williams

Amtrak does not have service from either Las Vegas or Phoenix to Williams.

For the very best experience, and since you won't have a car, you will want to book lodging in GCNP.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

I would suggest investigating dragonflylady's suggestion about Open Road Tours for transporation from Phoenix. There are tour companies from Las Vegas, and there may be transportation-only available, but I haven't seen any in various searches. The trip from Phoenix to GCNP is a little less than from Las Vegas. Flying into Flagstaff would add as much time to your trip as the van trip from Phoenix as well as $200-300 additional cost. According to Open Road Tours web site, they pick you up at Sky Harbor Airport in PHX and take you to Flagstaff, where you catch another van to GCNP. You may need to contact them and ask them about coordinating the entire trip:

tours@openroadtours.com

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,265 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Williams

For Greyhound from Phoenix to Williams, there are 3 departures daily through Flagstaff. To find them, check Phoenix to Flagstaff, and then match route numbers with Flagstaff to Kingman. Williams is about 1/2 hour from Flagstaff. Total trip time is 3.5 hours according to their web site.

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Williams

We're staying at The Canyon Country Inn in July for 2 nights and the total cost is around £60!

Just been looking at train prices tonight and they're quite expensive. We're now wondering whether we should drive to save a bit of money...

Barbie

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,281 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Williams

Looked at Open Roads, there are shuttles from the Phoenix Airport to Flagstaff a few times a day, RT $76 and then a shuttle from Flagstaff to either Williams or Grand Canyon, RT $54.

If you could stay at loding in Grand Canyon National Park, you could enjoy more time in the park, visiting and enjoying.

If you can get lodging in the park, try Bright Angel Lodge and Cabins around $80 a night for a room with a bath. Cabins maybe available as well. www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Hope this helps some.

7. Re: Getting to Williams

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, September 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Williams