We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arizona vacation

Maryland
11 posts
Save Topic
arizona vacation

Hello, I will be vacationing in Arizona July 31 - August 14 with my sons (10 and 15) and my 74 year old mother and I am looking for itinerary advice. We have rented a cabin in Williams for the 2 weeks and would like to plan day trips to see as much as we can.

Not knowing the area, it is hard to plan how much we can actually do/see in one day. Except for the occasional evening excursion for sunsets and star gazing, we would like to be "home" for the evening meal to help save money on eating out. THANKS!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arizona vacation

There is plenty to do and see from Williams. What kind of activities are you looking at doing ?

GC S rim is 1 hr away. Wupatki is about 1 hr or less from Williams. Monument Valley is about 3+ hrs from Williams. Prescott is about 45 minutes then another 20 mins or so to Jerome for a side trip. Flagstaff is a 30+ min drive. Tons to do in and around flagstaff. The only store in Williams is Safeway you may want to load up in Flagstaff for things you need at walmart or other items. The driving around here is quite easy especially on I-40. You can also drive to Montezumas well and castle in Camp Verdie which is a little over an hour away. Sedona is about 45 mins to an hour via I-40 then 89a.

We have many lakes for fishing.

Not a lot of things to do in Williams, no theaters, clubs ect. Its a small town not much for the kids. There is a great aquatic center in town very cheap. Williams isn't for everyone but those of us who like small quiet towns do enjoy the quietness of everything at a slower pace.

For Star gazing I can tell you a couple of easy short drives that get you to some great spots. I'd also recommend a night showing at Lowel Obsesrvatory in Flagstaff.

As far as planning it all depends on how far you want to travel in a day.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3541-Northern_…

Mentioned in this post
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,852 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arizona vacation

Sounds like a great base for a vacation. I would make sure you take time to rest too, maybe spend a day in Williams, driving very little and maybe doing some hikes.

1. I would visit the Grand Canyon at least a few times during your stay. There are shuttle buses that take you most places. Have your youngest son do the Junior Ranger program (the older kiddo can help) . Make sure you drive out the east entrance and see the Desert View area and Tusayan Ruins, then visit Cameron Trading Post.

2. Wupatki Nat Mon and Sunset Crater Nat Mon are close enough to each other to do the same day. Wupatki contains ancient ruins and Sunset Crater is volcanic. Visit early in the day to avoid hot afternoon temps.

3. Flagstaff has some fun things to do. Lots of hikes, the Lowell Observatory, some musems and an arboretum (a combo botanical garden, research station, and environmental education center). Visit the Arizona Snowbowl Ski area, they have a chairlift ride, hikes, disc golf and dining. I also recommend picking up supplies here.

4. Drive down Oak Creek Canyon toward Sedona and visit the Slide Rock State Park, swimming and sliding on slick sandstone. Really cool!!

5. I would recommend a jeep tour in Sedona. Fun for everyone.

6. Cottonwood, Jerome and Prescott would be good day trip. Tuzigoot National Monument, Verde River, Verde Canyon Railroad, old mining town of Jerome.....

7. Drive west to Ashfork, then take old Rt 66 to Seligman. Stop here, or continue on to Grand Canyon Caverns.

I hope I've given you some info, ask more questions! Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Seligman
Seligman
Arizona
Maryland
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: arizona vacation

Thanks to the 2 posts!! Great info. Some of the nitty gritty details about what we can accomplish in a days time really helps. I want to make the most out of our time without killing ourselves! Any recommendations on visiting the Reservations, seeing the culture, buying souvenirs (authentic jewelry/crafts/etc)?

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arizona vacation

The suggestion above to visit Cameron Trading Post is a good one to search for some affordable Native American souvenirs. Check out their website at www.camerontradingpost.com for more info. On their links page is a good selection of ways to experience this culture while you are visiting AZ.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,852 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arizona vacation

Visiting the Navajo reservation is within reach, Cameron Trading post outside the east entrance to GCNP. Also, if you want to drive further, you can visit the Hopi Mesa's from Cameron, about 2 more hours. Incredible visit and one you will never forget. You can't take photos, so make all the mental images you can!

Have fun.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,594 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: arizona vacation

Visiting the reservations is not a particularly inspiring way to spend your time. Don't expect to find shows and tourist services there. The natives pretty much like their privacy on the reservations. You'll find far more souvenirs and representations of their culture at locations closer to the known tourist attractions, like at Cameron Trading Post or along the highways.

Maryland
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: arizona vacation

Good to know!

Any recommendations for guided tours? Already planning on signing up for a Pink Jeep Tour and have already reserved the "float trip". I didn't know if any of the paid guided tours of the GC were worthwhile or if we should just pick some of the Ranger Programs offered, as well as, do our own thing.

I really appreciate all the tips and info!

Williams, Arizona
Level Contributor
92 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: arizona vacation

Marvelous Marv's (marvelousmarv.com) tours is the best tour available in the Williams area and he picks you up at your hotel in Williams, takes you to the Grand Canyon and then returns you in the evening. Has been here is Williams for 15 years of so. He knows all the ins and outs at the canyon and can go places many people don't know about.... Go to his site and take a look. I highly recommend him. His tour begins at your doorstep and continues for the whole journey. He knows a tremendous lot about the area and its history, which makes him the best man for the job.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,215 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: arizona vacation

If you are spending 2 weeks in the area, you don't need to spend money on a guided tour of GCNP. When you enter the park, you are given a very informative and complete brochure. There is also a visitors center in the park. You will find that your own tour on your own time and terms is the best tour of GCNP. Within GC Village, there are free shuttle buses. From there along the west rim to Hermits Rest, there are free shuttles. You can drive yourself to the east rim overlooks one day, and that would be a good opportunity to exit the park to the east on Hwy 64, go to Cameron Trading Post, and return to Williams via Flagstaff.

Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: arizona vacation

Don't forget your GCNP reciept is good for entrance into the park for 7 consecutive days so hang onto it if you want to go back. As far as jewelry (authentic) in downtown Flagstaff there are several places. Wild West Traders on the main drag (aka milton/rt 66) @ 106 E rt 66 on the far east end of downtown just past san francisco st if going east on Milton/rt 66 it will be on the left hand side where all of the shops are but its one of the last ones. The owners are friends of ours. The owners are really nice and can usually be talked down in price.

I wouldn't bother with a tour guide. Just go to the visitors center at the GC s rim and look and see what free ranger programs are going on for the day. You can take the shuttle busses around the s rim once there. Marv's is a good choice though if you want a local tour guide. If you do a search someone left a report at one time about the tour.

I'd suggest getting a regional book one for Northern Arizona and a good driving map. Remember if you go on the reservation they are an hour different than us at the moment.

Any q's drop me a line

dragonflyladyofarizona@hotmail.com

Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona