We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we stay at Wiliiams or Flagstaff?

Which Williams hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
149 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Should we stay at Wiliiams or Flagstaff?

Our family of four will be traveling by car from the Las Vegas airport to either Williams or Flagstaff to stay overnight before drriving to the Grand Canyon the next day. Which town would be closer to the Grand Canyon? Does Williams have very many dinning options? I have a 10 yeard old son and a 5 year old daughter that are very picky eaters. Also, how many days would you plan on taking to see the Grand Canyon. We will arrive out there June 23, 2007. We had thought about staying in Tusayan, AZ, but really don't want to drive all the way there the first night as we will be tired from out flight to Las Vegas and then driving. Thanks!

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
149 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Should we stay at Wiliiams or Flagstaff?

Dangerous-Dan,

I have booked a room at Motel 6 West through the Motel 6 website. It was $121.53 for the two night we are staying there. Thanks for all of the information. I really appreciate everyone's help and for taking the time to respond to my post. I can't wait for our vacation in June!

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Should we stay at Wiliiams or Flagstaff?

Just re-did northern Arizona as one of my favorite parts of the nation. Advice as posted is good. We stayed at the Holiday Inn for $81 this time of year, through their website. The Holiday is just off the center exit of I 40, but with no traffic noise & to top it of is much newer than most properties in the area.

Yes, Williams is more direct when driving 3 1/2 hours from Las Vegas. Hope this introduction leads you to follow up when plannikng more time in the future. Flagstaff also has charm as a college town.

Cameron Trading Post motel has quiet modern rest just outside the east entry of the Grand Canyon.

And yes, plan to do the Hopi reservation & Hubbel Trading Post drive someday. Along with Sedona & its Oak Creek Canyon drive - these are jaw dropping places to see.

True, Williams is no dining mecca. Nothing special for dinner. Old Smoky's in Williams for breakfast is a find of the magnitude of the Coffee Pot Restaurant in Sedona for breakfast (101 omlets) & outstanding Mexican food for lunch (& I'm from Albuquerque as for comparison among Mexican food stand outs.)

I too, enjoy an occasional dose of Las Vegas glitz, but really treasure the whole history & culture of Indian country & romance of the old southwest.

Note to anyone considering an authentic Indian had woven rug of any sorts: for unusually large selections at darn near lowest possible prices, seek out Cameron Trading Post (Cameron, Az.), historic Hubbel Trading Post (Ganado, Az.) & Richardson's Trading Company (downtown Gallup, NM.)

And I can't not mention Shush Naz (north of center Gallup exit & opposite McDonalds as the capital of turquoise for probably the entire world.

Those rug & turquoise recommendations - absolutely world class without Santa Fe type prices!Q

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Should we stay at Wiliiams or Flagstaff?

You must have been haulin to do Lv to Williams in 3 1/2 hrs My best is 4 on a reall good day. Average is 5 with traffic and stops.

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Should we stay at Wiliiams or Flagstaff?

Yep, really hauling with a purpose. No extreme speeds, just pacing with best moving traffic on 93, gas & quick pit stop at Kingman, then cruise control set at about 79 mph to Williams & past. And I'm retired. Straight through Las Vegas back to Albuquerque is a tiring day.

Williams does have its charm sitting in among the Ponderosa pines. I haven't found a restaurant for anything charming for supper though. The artsy shops are a nice crawl without the hype & pressure of larger touristy places.

I retired to the Albuquerque area after several years of visiting various potential retirement spots in the U.S. Before the final trip to New Mexico I would have made a small bet on small town Arizona. But my wife had moved to Apache Junction right out of high school 40+ years ago. The return to it brought tears of what it had been back then now destroyed as absorbed to the edge of Phoenix.

Many others must have some appreciations in common with me to revere the whole area from California through Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado & New Mexico. Mind boggling cultural heritage, scenery, arts scene & romance of the old southwest.

Americans visiting many locations not as flashy as Sedona should take notice of the reason they are outnumbered often by Europeans who are advertised to see the incredible uniqueness that is relatively hidden in America. Why aren't we as appreciative of these treasures? The region's smaller attractions should be much more appreciated.

Williams, Arizona
Level Contributor
92 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Should we stay at Wiliiams or Flagstaff?

The trip to Las Vegas in 3 1/2 hours is about right if the traffic over the dam is not too heavy. When the new bridge opens up, it will be a walk in the park to make it there in 3 to 3 1/2. The bridge itself will be worth the trip to Vegas. Looks like it will really give you a view of the Colorado River, dam and the lake. Hope you won some $$$$ while in Vegas. Please send some our way. LOL.... Glad you had a good time in Williams, and the great southwest..

Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Should we stay at Wiliiams or Flagstaff?

It all depends if you want to see the sights in the quaint little small town of Williams or the lovely city of Flagstaff. Both are wonderful. There is a nice observatory in Flagstaff, Lowell ,may be received well by the chidren. It is a great place to viset and you could attend the evening viewings and still have plenty of time to get to the Canyon the next morning. It will add about 30 minutes to your travel time to the canyon if you stay in Flagstaff. There are plenty of great restaurants in Williams many will give you a flavor of the history of Rte 66. The visitor center in Williams is fun and the Grand canyon Railway station is right next door and only takes a few minutes to go through. If you have breakfast in Williams. Old Smokies can't be beat. I also enjoyed the Pine Country restaurant for just about any time of the day . Hopeyou have a great trip. Kaibob

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
101 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Should we stay at Wiliiams or Flagstaff?

We just stayed in Williams on May 18. We stayed our first night May 17 in the GCNP, then second night in Williams after we were done at GCNP. We loved Williams and the Rte 66 experience. Stayed at Motel 6 West - nothing fancy but it was fine. Price was $55 for Friday night. I think it was $45 on other week nights. Old Smokeys for breakfast was great.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,783 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Should we stay at Wiliiams or Flagstaff?

Another place we like to eat at is Rod's Steakhouse in Williams. Good food and my picky eater loved the pinto bean soup, go figure!!!

Make sure you have your kids do the Junior Ranger Program at Grand Canyon. Helps to focus them on all kinds of things. I would also visit Tusayan Ruins in the eastern portion of the park, as well as Desert View.

Have a great time.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
149 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Should we stay at Wiliiams or Flagstaff?

We will be staing in Williams, AZ next Saturday, June 23 and Sunday, June 24. We are staying at the Motel 6 West. Thanks to all of you who have responded to my original post. I have gotten tons of good suggestions and idea off of this fourm. I will post a trip report when we get back home.

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Should we stay at Wiliiams or Flagstaff?

We just got back from Days Inn Williams and that was really pretty nice, considering it's a 2-star hotel: indoor pool, hot tub, clean room, close enough to everything.

Make sure to get breakfast at Old Smokey's Pancakes or whatever it's called. We did and it was great.