We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon train trip, Max and Thelma's, other options

Which Williams hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
220 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon train trip, Max and Thelma's, other options

We are leaving for Las Vegas this coming Wednesday evening. We will drive from Vegas to Williams with my parents who are residents of Vegas and will stay at the Grand Canyon Railway hotel. We have booked a dome car and are looking forward to a relaxing trip.

I have heard horrible reviews about Max and Thelma's buffet. Honestly we took the option because there was little cost difference between lodging and train and lodging, train, and meals. I am curious about what other options we have. I heard you can upgrade or trade in vouchers from Max and Thelma's. Any info on that would be really helpful.

We are all looking forward to our trip and visiting the quaint town of Williams.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon train trip, Max and Thelma's, other options

Hi Cindy and Jim,

Honestly if you value the health of your stomach just skip Max and Thelmas its a joke and the food well just stay clear. Walk the couple of blocks to Pine Country or Panchos just up the street. I would upgrade and get away from the vouchers if it were a place where locals would eat it would have been closed down years ago but they live off of the one time eaters who get the vouchers. There are much better dining options in town.

Other than that you will enjoy your trip. Also bring a cooler so you can pack a lunch and snacks it will save you time since you only get 3+ hrs at the canyon and money since everything is overpriced.

Just a little note we are suppose to get a little weather on Tuesday so you might want to bring a little jacket or sweater. Hopefully Wed will be warmer for you.

Click on www.azcentral.com and go to 12 news weather plus on the left hand side to get the weather before you leave.

Have a good trip and let us know how it goes when you get back.

Pennsylvania’s...
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon train trip, Max and Thelma's, other options

Stayed here before and dined at Old Smokeys and Pine Country restaurants.Both great. Rated 1&2 by TA readers.We will be here in Sep staying at the Grand motel Rated #1 by TA readers dining at Old Smokeys for breakfast and Pine Country for dinner.Check out TA reviews Dragonflylady gave u good advice.......take It........

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon train trip, Max and Thelma's, other options

Sounds great Joe, maybe DFL can join us!!!!

Pennsylvania’s...
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon train trip, Max and Thelma's, other options

I second that..........

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon train trip, Max and Thelma's, other options

Just name the date and time :) I'll be there You buying? haha!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon train trip, Max and Thelma's, other options

Of course!!! How could you ask -lol-

Tet

Pennsylvania’s...
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon train trip, Max and Thelma's, other options

DragonflyLady sounds like a Surf & Turf night..........

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
220 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Canyon train trip, Max and Thelma's, other options

Thank you for your help. Appreciate you taking time to answer

Pennsylvania’s...
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Canyon train trip, Max and Thelma's, other options

cindeeandjim, let us know the outcome...

Hope it is good................

No matter what...should be a great trip.....

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
220 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Canyon train trip, Max and Thelma's, other options

My family (husband and parents) enjoyed our stay. It actually snowed while we were there at the end of March. The food at Max and Thelma's was okay. Not really good or bad. Our service was good because we were friendly and tipped well. I'd rather spend a few bucks and be served than snubbed.

We really enjoyed the observation car on the train and of course the canyon was magnificent.

Was happy to get back to Vegas and have some great food.

Thanks for your tips.