We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night stay in Tusayan AZ, where to eat ?

Which Tusayan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lausanne...
Level Contributor
220 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
1 night stay in Tusayan AZ, where to eat ?

Hello,

where could we eat for dinner while visiting GNCP ? I've read El Tovar Restaurant is good for the view.

We are staying 1 night only in Tusayan.

Thanks for your help.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
6,792 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 night stay in Tusayan AZ, where to eat ?

El Tovar is a historic lodge in the National Park and a nice place to have a meal but there's really no point in worrying about "views" from any of the dining rooms at the Canyon, you really need to be outside for those. Make reservations at El Tovar and plan for dinner well before or after sunset and enjoy the sunset at one of the viewpoints on the rim.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 night stay in Tusayan AZ, where to eat ?

If you are not a guest at one of the park lodges, the earliest you can book for El Tovar is 30 days in advance. Park lodging guests can book earlier, so you may not get your date or your preferred time, depending on when you will be there. Good luck.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 night stay in Tusayan AZ, where to eat ?

Arizona Room next to Bright Angel is another option but they don't take reservations.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 night stay in Tusayan AZ, where to eat ?

We visited the Grand Canyon South Rim for the first time October 2013. We stayed in Williams, AZ. We were unfamiliar with the eating establishments at or near the Grand Canyon. The day we were at the Grand Canyon we stayed to see the full-moon rise over the canyon and did not leave till after 7:00pm. Right outside the Grand Canyon South Rim entrance is Tusayan, AZ.. There is a restaurant there called Sonja's Mexican Restaurant. We decided to give it a try due to the number of cars in the parking lot. We were unable to review the restaurant on our smart-phones due to internet/Wi-Fi connections. What we ordered from the menu was excellent. The portion sizes were very generous and in-line with the prices. It was priced reasonably, less than $15.00 for most entrées. I ordered the combination plate that had two spinach enchilada's, one chicken taco, black beans and rice. The spinach enchilada's were the best I've ever had and the chicken on the chicken taco was very generous! I realize spinach enchilada's are not typical of what most people would order in a Mexican restaurant, however everything we saw coming out of the kitchen looked really good and very generous portions. My husband ordered a burrito and really enjoyed it. The chips and salsa were okay. They make their own Sangria fresh daily. It was very good. Here's the yellow flag on the drink menu - on one side of the drink menu it listed the Sangria as $5.00 a glass and the other side of the menu it listed it as $5.95 a glass. When I pointed this out to the food-server he charged me the lower price. I liked the lighting in the restaurant and bar. It is a very colorful, eclectic place with character. The entrance into the restaurant is near the cashier, the bar and the kitchen where food-servers are coming in/out of the kitchen all at one point - so there was a lot of hustle and bustle when we first entered. Overall I would recommend this restaurant if you like Mexican food and a restaurant with character.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 night stay in Tusayan AZ, where to eat ?

Welcome to the forum Deborah. This is an old post and the OP (original poster) never came back to us.

6. Re: 1 night stay in Tusayan AZ, where to eat ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, January 19, 2015