We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last min. reservations Grand Hotel or Best Western

Memphis
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Last min. reservations Grand Hotel or Best Western

Adding an extra two days to our vacation to visit the Grand Canyon. Found reservations at Grand Hotel, Canyon Plaza Resort, and Best Western. Would appreciate any advice on choosing between the three. Thanks

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,611 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last min. reservations Grand Hotel or Best Western

I'm sorry I can't give you a recommendation on them as I've never stayed in any of them. Just be aware that none of them are inside the park at Grand Canyon. They are in the town of Tusayan which is right outside the entrance gates.

SJG

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,451 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last min. reservations Grand Hotel or Best Western

The Canyon Plaza Resort is new. I haven't stayed there. It looks very nice. If you will be there before Labor Day, there is a park shuttle from Tusayan to the Village in GCNP. It's about 6 miles into the park from Tusayan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79_DBqWtv7A

Edited: 4:24 pm, June 29, 2010
tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,451 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last min. reservations Grand Hotel or Best Western

Sorry but that video link above did not include the Canyon Plaza Resort.

Memphis
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Last min. reservations Grand Hotel or Best Western

Thanks bobbear for the video link---great info --hadn't even thought about viewing utube.

Southjerseygirl--everything booked inside the park, so will try to get as "close as possible" :)

farmington Hills MI
Level Contributor
686 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last min. reservations Grand Hotel or Best Western

We stayed at the Best Western last December and really liked it.

They have better reviews on TA than the other ones you mentioned.

However, if you do decide to stay there, make sure you stay in the newer rennovated part, since I think there is a difference in the rooms.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last min. reservations Grand Hotel or Best Western

Actually the Canyon Plaza is the former Quality Inn property, which dates back to the early 1980's. They're independent now. The newest hotel in Tusayan is actually the Grand Hotel.

As to which one is better, every hotel in the area has had both good and bad reports, which you can read on here, but frankly, if your trip is last minute, you should take what sounds best to you. The longer you debate the issue, the more you risk losing out on any availability you might have found and then find yourself having to go to Williams or Flagstaff.

If you're traveling with kids, the Best Western Grand Canyon Squire has the most in the way of on-site amenities, such as a 6-lane bowling alley, video games, pool tables. They've also got the usual stuff such as outdoor pool, jacuzzi, mini-gym, etc. The Grand also has a small video arcade. If you're staying at one of the other hotels in the area, you're always welcome to come down to the Squire and use the bowling alley, etc. The Canyon Plaza is right next door to the IMAX Theatre.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,451 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last min. reservations Grand Hotel or Best Western

Ooops, sorry. I saw the Canyon Plaza when at GCNP a few months ago and thought it was new. In the photos online, it appears to have been completely renovated if it's the old Quality Inn,

8. Re: Last min. reservations Grand Hotel or Best Western

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 28, 2010