We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Card details copied in San Pedro

Which San Pedro La Laguna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Card details copied in San Pedro

My girlfriend and I stayed from Wed-Sun night of Semana Santa. She logged in to her 24 hour banking yest and found over 700 euro had been taken from her debit card. Then she logged in today and found the same thing had happened with her credit card!

At first we assumed it was the ATM near the Pana dock in San Pedro. She tried the machine twice on Sunday and it didn't allow us to withdraw money. But now that we see the details of the credit card were also copied (and she hasn't used the card anywhere for over a month). It seems most likely that someone went into one of the rooms where we were staying and copied the cards. The purchases were made around the Lago Atitlan area.

At the moment we don't want to say where this may have happened, because we stayed in two different places over the five nights. However, one place insisted we stay 2 nights and seemed quite eager to clean our room while we were out during the day. If anybody else has had a similar experience, please post and let us know.

As an aside, she left the cards in the room for security reasons - we were walking in areas around the lake where there apparently have been robberies in the past (we found it perfectly safe) so we wanted to carry as little as possible. So I don't know what the answer is for keeping your cards secure.

On a brighter note, even though she has no cards now, the bank is refunding the money, as they should.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
676 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Card details copied in San Pedro

Thank you for the useful post, and very sorry to hear about the theft. As a general guideline, it seems best not to leave anything of value in a hotel room unless there is a safe or you have good reasons to trust the management. You can save worry by carrying all your cards and money on your person, divided between two wallets (one worn under your clothes would be the place to keep most of the cards and money). If you are unlucky enough to be robbed or have your pocket picked the thieves probably will only get what is in your pocket wallet. You can then cancel the stolen card as soon as you can get to a phone.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
172 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Card details copied in San Pedro

Wow, that really stinks. I'm sorry that happened to you. If you do narrow down where the theft occurred, I'd sure appreciate if you would share the information. Thanks for posting.

Ostend, Belgium
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Card details copied in San Pedro

Hello,

reading your post, i can confirm this ATM machine in San Pedro stil is a problem

, jus t got a call from my daughter travelling Guatemala.

she stayed in San Pedro end of october, en noticed now that 10 cash redraws happened after she used the same ATm at San Pedro.

first redraw of 1.000 GTQ happened at Restaurant Nck place, followed by 9 other over 10 days.

we started a procedure with the bank to get a refund.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Card details copied in San Pedro

#3, didn't you read the post? It wasn't the ATM. It was someone entering their room.

Have used the San Pedro ATM over a dozen times in the last few months... no probs.

5. Re: Card details copied in San Pedro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 07, 2015
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro La Laguna