We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Hostel Pinocchio - Bed bug issue

Tonyc32
Level Contributor
50 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid Hostel Pinocchio - Bed bug issue

There doesn't seem to be a proper review for this hostel so I thought i'd write a post.

I had the displeasure of staying here for one night. I was not in a dorm, I was in one of their private rooms (room 2, a room with two beds).

Overnight I woke up sweating, distressed and scratching. I was covered in bed bugs! I had been bitter on the face, arms, neck and chest. I look like i've been shot with a shotgun!

I showed the manager this and he insisted that it was mosquitoes....despite the bites in a line, blood spots everywhere and the few dead bed bugs (or their shells) still on the mattress (which he picked up and put in his pocket - I guess it's easier to lie when the evidence isn't right in your face)

An additional issue is that all the signs tell you that check out is noon (it's written in big foot-size letter on the walls outside!) yet they insist it's really 10am and throw you out at 10!

I paid for two nights but they would not give me my second night back. I walked away and let them keep the money.

A true hell hole - avoid!

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Avoid Hostel Pinocchio - Bed bug issue

I have been here a few times..must have been lucky..no bugs ( a few mozzies at dusk ). I do know that if you want to do a deal on a few nights stay, be 100% sure because you wont get a refund (i find this to be the case with most hoteliers on the cheaper end of the scale all around the planet to be honest)..I found the owner very affable, his brother (now gone) is also a tuk-tuk driver so that explains him! San Pedro is a tourist trap and the locals have years of experience of "ripping off" tourists.Those who fall for it learn by it...see for yourself...opinions are like ar#eholes--- everyone's got one... (ps. I paid Q40 per night for a single. you can get a twin w /shared bath for Q150 for 2 nights-- which i think is worth it...they do have a great view from the roof- great place to get coyote'd....

Edited: 12:56 pm, October 15, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Avoid Hostel Pinocchio - Bed bug issue

I just wanted to write a reply to this message as we had a very different experience during our stay here this week:

We stayed at this hostel for the two nights that we were in San Pedro. Upon arriving in San Pedro we didn't have any accommodation booked beforehand although a local recommended we tried Pinocchio's. We spent our first night in a three bed dorm (room 13) which felt very exposed as it was the first room you see as you come through the main gates. The mattresses were thin foam sheets so weren't particularly comfortable but for Q40 each you can't really complain. On the second morning we asked if they had any private rooms available which they did. We moved into a private room without bathroom for Q40 each which was much better. There was a double and single bed (both with proper mattresses) in the room so if you're travelling as a three then I'd recommend trying to get this room over the three bed dorm.

The shared bathrooms were always kept clean and the shower was nice and hot when I used it. The hostel is set in a lovely garden with an outdoor kitchen which looked very well stocked with utensils etc, however we ate out whilst we were there.

The wifi at this hostel is brilliant. They even have two routers so that you can access the wifi from anywhere in the hostel - a rarity in backpacker places! The location is perfect and the staff are all very lovely and friendly.

Would definitely recommend this place for those on a budget but do try to book ahead to get a better room if you can.

Spokane, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Avoid Hostel Pinocchio - Bed bug issue

This was the first place I went to after arriving off the boat from Panajachel. A local showed it to me. I didn't personally experience bed bugs in the 6 nights I slept there(2 different occasions). After I got there the second time, I noticed that the yard/garden around the kitchen were not very clean. No Bueno.

Honestly, I liked the location, the garden, the cleaning lady too. But travelers who don't respect this space by picking up after themselves, and an overworked, underpaid cleaning lady, resulting in a space that isn't very clean, led me to move to another cheaper, cleaner, and more private hotel.

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Avoid Hostel Pinocchio - Bed bug issue

I stayed there last week and my ATM and credit cards seem to have been copied while I was there. I cannot find a way to contact them. It was also overly expensive - 150Q for a not-very-nice double room when there are nicer rooms for half the price nearby. When we said this was expensive they said it was because of Semana Santa but we heard that that is always their price. We were also obliged to stay 2 nights and pay for both on arrival.

15. Re: Avoid Hostel Pinocchio - Bed bug issue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 29, 2015