We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Indian Nose viewpoints!!!

2 posts
Save Topic
Avoid Indian Nose viewpoints!!!

I've been to the viewpoint (the small huts you can see from everywhere around) today. Came from SantaClara like a lot of people do it. It's all free but when I arrived at the huts some guys forced me to pay saying its private. I discused half an hour with them. Even going back the same way wasn't possible because they started being agressive. So I paid the 'ladrones' and went to the police afterwards. walked up again together to get my money back but they were gone. I recommend dont go to huts just skip them (there is a path ask the people). And taking a guide isnt a better option, because they pay them too for nothing!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,715 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid Indian Nose viewpoints!!!

I hiked up last summer from San Juan, then down the back side to Santa Clara. It was my understanding all along that there would be a fee at the top. We also paid a fee at the start of the trail in San Juan. Here's my blog post. Sorry for your troubles!

…blogspot.com/2012/07/hike-to-nariz-de-indio…

West Vancouver...
Level Contributor
105 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid Indian Nose viewpoints!!!

from my understanding and what i have heard is that the guy collecting money is the owner of the land that you have to cross to get the indian nose. how much did he get you for?

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid Indian Nose viewpoints!!!

Exactly thats what they say 'private'. the problem is that it is illegal what they do. Talked with some locals (just next to this place) and they said they have no licence, no registration (what you need in Guatemala) to gain money with their place. So i went to the police and they said its illegal too. Well i know probably that won't change anything, i just wanna to inform the people that they can avoid this bad situation! (had to pay 75Q but they took my 100q bill because for sure they had no change, and i knew and explained that its 30q down in san juan) In short: they talked so much sh*it, just wanna steal your money and are aggressive that its not worth going their!!!

4. Re: Avoid Indian Nose viewpoints!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 27, 2014