We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drakes Bay / Osa Pennisula trip where to stay?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
60 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Drakes Bay / Osa Pennisula trip where to stay?

Hi,

We are a family of 5 and we are looking for a place to stay in Drakes Bay. We are looking dor an adventure. This will be our 3rd trip to Costa Rica and we wanted to explore the Drakes Bay Area. We are looking for a place to stay for 4 days.. Someone recommended La Paloma to us but it looks pricey (charging by the person). We are planning on doing excursions to explore the area and are looking for suggestions also.

Lastly my kids really want to go surfing again. Are there any beaches that Are not rocky that would be good for surfing that can be reached from Drakes Bay. Thanks in advance for your feedback! Pura Vida!!!!

Grants Pass Or.
Level Contributor
327 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drakes Bay / Osa Pennisula trip where to stay?

Check out the Amaya family cabins. They offer quite a variety of different choices which may work for you. The location is very near the boundry of Corcavado and they offer all the same tours as the rest of the operators.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
60 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drakes Bay / Osa Pennisula trip where to stay?

Thank you for your advice!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drakes Bay / Osa Pennisula trip where to stay?

Another option is Las Caletas on a swimmable beach on the outskirts, accessible only by boat or footpath from town. It's a simple place on a beautiful hillside with macaws flying right overhead. We enjoyed it and the guides very much. Great for children. Prices include all meals. Opposite of La Paloma which provides a much more luxurious environment.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
60 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drakes Bay / Osa Pennisula trip where to stay?

Thank you for your suggestion! We are looking for an accommodation that would fit the 5 of us all in one cabin and unfortunately Las Caletas doesn't have a big enough room.

Grants Pass Or.
Level Contributor
327 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drakes Bay / Osa Pennisula trip where to stay?

NomadicKat, curious if you were able to find the Amaya cabins website?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
60 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drakes Bay / Osa Pennisula trip where to stay?

Hello Bobofthehemtn,

Yes I just received an email from Bill. Do you have a recommendation on which of his accommodations would work the best for a family of 5? We are looking for a private cabin (meaning that we are not sharing a house with other people). Also do you know if they have either ceiling fans or ac since we would be going in July?

Grants Pass Or.
Level Contributor
327 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drakes Bay / Osa Pennisula trip where to stay?

Based on what your needs are, It looks like Sonia's House is what will be large enough for 5. The website says it has ceiling fans, I have never been in the house but have seen it from outside. We have stayed in a cabin there on multiple ocasions and have really enjoyed ourselves.. They used to offer all inclusive type packages with food, transportation too and from and a couple of tours. With this new format I think you may have to figure out what you would be interested in. The beach and jungle there is imho one of the most breathtaking beaches in Costa Rica... Just a 20-30 minute hike along the beach trail is a snorkle beach that has some of the best beach snorkling I have seen in CR. Get there early as this is also the spot where the Cano Island snorkling beach to have lunch...

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
60 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drakes Bay / Osa Pennisula trip where to stay?

Thank you again!!! How is the food at Amaya Family Cabins?

Grants Pass Or.
Level Contributor
327 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drakes Bay / Osa Pennisula trip where to stay?

I have found the food to be basic Costa Rica cuisine, nothing fancy bit filling. I am a fairly picky eater and have had no trouble eating what they serve. They will work with you if you have special dietary needs such as vegetarian. What they have is a small menu for breakfast that gives you 3-4 options, lunch is either a pic nic if you are on a tour or a sack lunch if you ask or they will fix you something at the restruant. The important thing is to let them know what your plans are for the day. Dinner is usually served around 5:30-6:00 PM. Starts with a basic salad followed by the entree which is usually fish, chicken or pork, with rice and some steamed vegetables. I hope this helps. I have never worked with Bill but he should be able to answer these questions as well as me. We were there this Feb. and just are in love with the area.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
60 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drakes Bay / Osa Pennisula trip where to stay?

Thanks again for your help!