We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying into drake bay?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
162 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
flying into drake bay?

It seems like most people prefer Nature Air to Sansa. The price difference on the flights to Drake Bay on the date we want to travel is $60 cheaper on Sansa. Is that amount of money enough of a difference to take the more expensive Nature Air flight?

If I were to put together an emergency plan in case my flight gets canceled, how would you suggest I get to Drake Bay from SJO?

Canada
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying into drake bay?

I have no idea why people woulr prefer Nature Air. We flew Sansa and the price was right, the service was very professional, the seats are comfortable and hey fly from SJO. Not to slant Nature Nature Air because they may alse be great, but why anyone pay 60 bucks more is beyond me. Maybe I am missing something.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
333 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying into drake bay?

I'm also curious about why Nature Air is preferred. Two years ago we flew Nature Air and were pleased, but this summer we flew Sansa at a $400 savings for our family. Honestly, both airlines provided excellent service. There must be something behind the N.A. preference, but I have no idea what it is.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
162 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying into drake bay?

Well, that's pretty much why I asked the question. $60 is a lot of money so I really would prefer Sansa, but the comments I've seen throughout the forums and on hotel websites made me question the decision strictly on price alone.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying into drake bay?

Nature Air flies twin-engine aircraft and is claims to be the world's 1st carbon neutral airline. SANSA flies both single and twin-engine planes. I have had good flights with both airlines.

Lincs, England
Level Contributor
105 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying into drake bay?

I flew from San Jose to drake bay with nature air, and back to San Jose with Sansa in august. Both flights were absolutely fine, if anything the Sansa plane seemed more modern to me - the flight controls were on a screen whereas with nature air it was dials and switches, though as i am no aeroplane expert, it probably makes no difference at all. The sansa plane was slightly smaller, about 12 passenger seats as opposed to about 18 on the natureair flight.I wouldn't hesitate to fly with either again in the future.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
331 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying into drake bay?

My sister flew like 4 times with Sansa Costa rica from SJO to Quepos.

She loved it.

No problem, good service and pleasant flight.

Enjoy!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying into drake bay?

Which rates from Nature Air are you comparing? Nature Air has three rates they use--Flex, Promo, and Loco.

The main difference between the fare classes is how much luggage you can take for free.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
162 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flying into drake bay?

I was comparing the Promo fare, which was the lowest rate available, and also the most comparable in luggage weight allowance to the Sansa flight. The price difference was actually $30, but since there are two of us, it's a $60 difference.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I decided to ignore the chatter and save my $60 for something else and booked the Sansa flight.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
366 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flying into drake bay?

@love2travel,

I am flying Sansa from SJO to Drake Bay airstrip in early December. The fare with Nature Air was similar but I chose Sansa because I arrive in early am and they have the perfect connection from SJO for me.

On this note, can you share a bit about your plans for stay in Osa?

I am in the planning stage for my trip and looking for ideas to fill in the last 3 nights of my itinerary (first 5 nights are already confirmed).

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
162 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flying into drake bay?

hi! sure thing. my flight arrives in the late evening at SJO, so I'm spending the night and then flying into DB. Then I'll be spending my first night in DB, and my 2nd in Sirena station (this is not confirmed yet), and then 3rd and 4th nights in DB. The 2nd leg of my trip will be in Uvita, and I haven't figured out the best way to to get there yet, but I think it will involve taking the taxi by boat to Sierpe, and then working my to Uvita somehow and my last day going back to SJO from Uvita.

If I can get the logistics down I think Uvita/Dominical is great 2nd leg to staying in DB/visiting Corcovado. Lots of people also seem to visit PJ with a trip to DB.