We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Advice

Canada
Level Contributor
366 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging Advice

Hoping to get some advice about lodging in Drake Bay. We have been reading website after website and pricing seems to widely vary for accommodation that looks very similar. We've narrowed the choices to

La Paloma - highest price but includes transfer from SJO

Aguila de Osa - doesn't include transfer from SJO

Drake Bay Wilderness Resort - good price but again transfer from SJO extra

Hotel Finca Maresia - budget but looks lovely. Are the bathrooms really as open as they appear on the website??

If I am right, we're looking at about $250pp to fly from SJO to Drake.

Is the price of La Paloma worth it or are we better off to go lower priced and a la carte for tours, transfers etc.? We are thinking 3-4 nights in Drake Bay and then boat to Sirena and stay 2 nights at the ranger station, then back to Drake and fly out. Our entire time in CR will be 10-12 days, still working out all the details.

Should we spend more time in the Osa or is 5-6 nights enough or is it too much? We like hiking and exploring and would also want to do Cano Island.

Mentioned in this post
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
La Paloma Lodge
La Paloma Lodge
533 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Aguila de Osa
Aguila de Osa
515 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Drake Bay Wilderness Resort
Drake Bay Wilderness...
365 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Finca Maresia
Finca Maresia
980 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Cano Island
Cano Island
864 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Canada
Level Contributor
366 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging Advice

Add Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge to the mix. Any opinions on any of these?

Mentioned in this post
Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge
Casa Corcovado Jungle...
368 Reviews
Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica
Canada
Level Contributor
366 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging Advice

Help anyone?

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging Advice

All nice places, where you stay depends on you budget. Sometimes you can get airfares from Nature Air for $110 pp/rt or less.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging Advice

La Paloma is excellent and not only is transportation included, but all meals and 2 'tours'. I thought it was well worth it. The rooms are amazing and the food is great. We did the Cano Island tour, mangrove tour and night but tour. All were fantastic! If you can afford it, yes, it's worth it. Personally I think 3 nights is perfect.

Mentioned in this post
La Paloma Lodge
La Paloma Lodge
533 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Cano Island
Cano Island
864 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging Advice

In regards to visiting Caño Island not sure when you are going but the island is closed to visits until mid may 2012. Tours are still going for snorkelling but can not visit the island. Look at this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g635755-i12417-k51…

Canada
Level Contributor
366 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging Advice

Thank you, we'll be visiting after May so no problems. I've narrowed it down to La Paloma or Casa Corcovado, the location close to the park is attractive. In terms of La Paloma, is any advantage to staying in Drake Bay? Is the town worth seeing and are nice beaches walkable from the lodge?

Mentioned in this post
La Paloma Lodge
La Paloma Lodge
533 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging Advice

I personally like better La Paloma....I think is worth it.

Mentioned in this post
La Paloma Lodge
La Paloma Lodge
533 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,450 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging Advice

Bathrooms at Finca Maresia are open air, but only the shower really is exposed to the outside. Lovely cabins, very tranquil place.

Mentioned in this post
Finca Maresia
Finca Maresia
980 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
San Francisco...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging Advice

Copa De Arbol www.copadearbol.com has some great discounts right now for the next couple months. They are currently offering 20% off their rates. They are right on the beach and are a luxury hotel with an ecological focus.

I suggest e mailing them, telling them what you want to do and seeing what rates they can offer you.

Good Luck deciding!

10. Re: Lodging Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:42 pm, June 19, 2013