We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better- Paloma lodge or drake bay wilderness resort

california
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Better- Paloma lodge or drake bay wilderness resort

Has anyone stayed in both of these properties at Drake Bay? I've done some research and I was wondering which one is better and why? Anything would help, thank you!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better- Paloma lodge or drake bay wilderness resort

Hi,

I stayed at La Palolma last May and I loved it. Take a look at my review for Posada El Quijote, I reviewed it there. There are also pix.

Garden Grove...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Better- Paloma lodge or drake bay wilderness resort

La Paloma is way better in all areas, staff, food, accomodations. The people at Drake Bay are rude and the food is untasty and in small portions. Also you might look into Delfin Amor Eco Lodge, I had friends who stayed there who raved about it.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better- Paloma lodge or drake bay wilderness resort

Hi,

We stayed at the Rain Forest Chalet in Drake Bay which was totally amazing (you can check out their website) It depends on what you want though - it is a totally secluded beautiful house in an amazing location. The owner ('Tracie the Bug Lady' who does the local night tour) and her husband could not have been nicer or more hospitable. If that is noot to your taste though Tracie did say that the Paloma Lodge had a good reputation locally and that she liked it there.

Hope that helps.

USA
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Better- Paloma lodge or drake bay wilderness resort

Fluffystella, I have stayed at both La Paloma and Aguila de Osa, both great but I actually like Aguila best. Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better- Paloma lodge or drake bay wilderness resort

Hi sierras1000,

Thanks for your input. I've made a reservationat Aguila de Osa because I've heard so many good things about it. If I come up with any other questions I'll be sure to ask you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better- Paloma lodge or drake bay wilderness resort

Whoops! I meant to say thank you heartsinthesnow. Sorry about that.

california
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better- Paloma lodge or drake bay wilderness resort

Why did you like aguila de osa inn better? I noticed that they didn't have a pool, which I generally don't spent a lot of time, but it is nice to relax at the end of the day. Can you give me some more insights as to why, it would be so helpful.

USA
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Better- Paloma lodge or drake bay wilderness resort

Hi sierras1000,

First let me say that you can't go wrong between the two... both beautiful places. Aguila has a slightly more laid back atmosphere, and for totally aesthetic reasons I like the way it is designed and landscaped. Also, the food is great at both places but I think Aguila has a slight edge. It's also closer to some of the other lodges, which I liked. But has no pool (Paloma is also closer to the best beach). Paloma is beautifully situated and more isolated, which is sort of a personal choice. Also if you are travelling with kids, then I would say La Paloma or Drake Bay might be better set up for family situations. Does that help at all?

USA
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Better- Paloma lodge or drake bay wilderness resort

Have fun fluffystella! Be sure to bring lots of rain gear, October is very soggy in the Osa in October.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Better- Paloma lodge or drake bay wilderness resort

Hi, just got back from Costa Rica last night. I stayed at Aguila de Osa early last week for 3 nights and I have to admit I was disappointed. Had nothing to do with the weather. I expected it to be rainy. Luckily it only rained all day one day. I think for the amount of money I paid, I expected better service, food and my room was just okay (the bathroom toilet, the seat cover was almost broken off). Unfortunately, if you're looking for a quiet retreat, this place is not for you. It was extremely laid back and I felt like I was annoying the manager if I tried to ask her questions. It seemed like she had more time to talk to her friends than with her guests. The food was substantial, and you'd never go hungry, but it was a bit on the salty side for my tastes. It wasn't all disappointing though. Other members of the staff were awesome and extremely friendly and warm. I went snorkeling off of Cano Island (successfully this time) and enjoyed it immensely. I have to admit, I like La Paloma Lodge better.