We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Paloma versus Lapa Rios?

Seattle
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
La Paloma versus Lapa Rios?

I'm planning a 12-day trip to CR in April with husband and two daughters (ages 9, 11). I have booked 4 nights at La Paloma but am wondering if Lapa Rios is a better choice. I know it's more expensive but this is a once-in-a-lifetime family trip.

Cano Island
Islands, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Naturaseekers
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails, Forests
Big Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
334 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Paloma versus Lapa Rios?

Have you looked into Bosque del Cabo instead of Lapa Rios? We were leaning towards La Paloma two years ago, then read about Bosque del Cabo. Absolutely wonderful - we are going back in about three weeks.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
369 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Paloma versus Lapa Rios?

I agree with the last responder that you should consider Bosque del Cabo. It is slightly less expensive than Lapa Rios. We've been twice and loved it. You can go down to the Pacific and/or the Golfo Dulce beaches, hike wonderful trails, see amazing wildlife, enjoy fantastic food and very friendly and accomodating staff,swim in a lovely pool, enjoy their newly renovated bar/games area,go to the animal sanctuary across the gulf, see dolphins,go on a primary rainforest tour with Philip (who is an incredible wealth of biological knowledge)and on and on. This is worth a once-in-a-lifetime trip!

Wellesley...
Level Contributor
83 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Paloma versus Lapa Rios?

Here's a vote for La Paloma! My wife and I stayed there almost 3 years ago with daughters then ages 9 and 6. The owners were terrific -- very welcoming -- and the views over the Pacific from our 2-level cabana were stunning. The pool wasn't great -- small and unheated are my recollections -- but the food, shared with all your fellow travelers at the end of an adventurous day, ranks as some of the most enjoyable I've ever eaten. One thing you should be aware of at many of these resorts: no screens in the windows. That's fine in the daytime, but leave a light on when you go to dinner and you can expect half of the known insect world to have joined you by bedtime. Lastly, there's wonderful wildlife throughout the Drake Bay area -- including the hotel grounds -- as we saw monkeys, sloths, coaties, beautiful birds, etc.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Paloma versus Lapa Rios?

Another recommendation for Bosque del Cabo. Can't be beat in my opinion.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Paloma versus Lapa Rios?

I will stay away from the high prices of Bosque...is not worth it...when you can see the same wildlife for a lot less money somewhere else like La Paloma!

A lot of people at Bosque...and some of them really not the nicest people around!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,433 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Paloma versus Lapa Rios?

We loved Bosque del Cabo too; take a look at their new video on their website if you're interested. It's the kind of place people go back to year after year and gets rave reviews.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Paloma versus Lapa Rios?

I'm guessing that the OP has already gone, a lot of old, old threads are being topped all of a sudden, very odd. Would be interested in hearing where the OP ended up!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Paloma versus Lapa Rios?

Thanks for pointing that out Midori. I almost offered suggestions to this thread. I noticed too, that recently old Osa posts are being brought to the top again. I wonder why that is?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,433 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Paloma versus Lapa Rios?

Mossback, where did you end up going? Hope you had a wonderful trip.

Seattle
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: La Paloma versus Lapa Rios?

We ended up going to La Paloma for 4 nights and had an absolutely fantastic time. Our two-storey Ranchero was fantastic and we loved the spectacular beach, the terrific food and beautiful open-air diningroom/library. the owner was gracious and welcoming. It's a great adventure for kids.

The "Bug Lady" was so interesting that I went on her tour twice. Even my bug-phobic girls enjoyed the night-time prowl. We spent a day hiking with a guide in Corcovado, a day snorkeling on the reef surrounding Canos Island, a day fishing (the staff prepared the fish for us and the rest of the guests!) and a day relaxing on the beach. The kids enjoyed the kayak trip up the adjacent river.We saw many toucans and macaws. The wild life at the resort was incredible--all species of monkeys, frogs, macaws, morpho butterflies, etc. The tiled pool was beautiful and I found it refreshing (not cold). It's not heated but this is the tropics and it's really, really hot so the pool felt great. We had no problem with bugs (even mosquitos were absent--don't know why...could be the season. We never used our bug spray). I, too, thought the lack of screens was odd but we had not problems at all with bugs.

I recommend La Paloma without reservation and would return in a heart beat. This place was also the stand-out for my children and husband.