We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from San Jose to Dominical

Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
77 reviews
Best route from San Jose to Dominical

We are staying at The Adventure Inn Hotel in San Jose and from there will be traveling to Dominical. Specifically the Jolly Roger Restaurant/Bar where we will be meeting our guides. The guides directions have us going to and through Jaco and Quepos. In looking at our map of CR it seems a more direct route would be through the mountains on what looks like a highway, CA2. Do you know why they might be directing us the other way? Any tips on the best route would be appreciated!

Canada
Level Contributor
5,086 posts
68 reviews
21. Re: Best route from San Jose to Dominical

Hi lovgoing

Your enemy is San Jose traffic and she is so strong you cannot defeat her with brawn – you must outsmart her. There are three way to defeat her.

1. Sleep in and have an early breakfast, get your car and head out after 9:00AM. Rush hour will be drained but she can be revived at any moment with the thrill of a car accident or road closure.

2. Get your car upon arrival and transverse San Jose while rush hour is sleeping. Stay on the eastern side of San Jose. You will be travelling opposite rush hour in the morning and enjoying a leisurely ride over the beautiful mountain in no time.

3. The third is similar to the second and certainly less stressful, but a little more expensive. Upon arrival, take a cab to the other side of San Jose and have your car delivered to your hotel the following morning.

For both option 2 and 3, I would recommend the Hyatt Place Curridabat tripadvisor.es/Hotel_Review-g1887338-d353323… (which is closer to Tres Rios but technically in Curridabat) This is a very secure property with dining options ranging from fast food to fine dining within walking distance. If you don’t get there too too late you should take a short cab ride to one of the most unique (ant tasty) restaurants I have ever experienced – Taller del Artista https:/… in Tres Rios and start your vacation of with a Wow!

Beaufort, SC
Level Contributor
359 posts
148 reviews
22. Re: Best route from San Jose to Dominical

Thank you Cana number 3 is a perfect solution if they will deliver the car. Do you have an idea what a cab would cost from the airport to the Hyatt. Thanks again Robin

Canada
Level Contributor
5,086 posts
68 reviews
23. Re: Best route from San Jose to Dominical

I would estimate the cab fare to be about 45us$ but I have not done that exact distance because I always get picked up at the Airport

Money well spent in my opinion!

Beaufort, SC
Level Contributor
359 posts
148 reviews
24. Re: Best route from San Jose to Dominical

So Cana I need a pick up..just kidding. Thanks for the advice. I always regret my limited time in CR, so always want to see something new. Your advice has probably made that happen. From my heart thank you !!

Canada
Level Contributor
5,086 posts
68 reviews
25. Re: Best route from San Jose to Dominical

Lovegoing, hey you never know... If the timing is right I just might offer a free (and by free I mean you are buying) tour of "my other back yard"

26. Re: Best route from San Jose to Dominical

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 12, 2016