We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid South Wave Surf Shop

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
22 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid South Wave Surf Shop

have a fraudulent credit card charge from this shop. I have called, emailed, and no response.

Bank will not credit the amount.

South Wave Surf Shop. rip off!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,515 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid South Wave Surf Shop

<<"Bank will not credit the amount.">>

Did the bank give you a reason?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
22 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid South Wave Surf Shop

They said that I was present at the time of the transaction, so, irrespective of whether I signed the receipt or not, they had to honor it.

What happened is that I went in to buy board shorts marked at $68.

They ran the card, and it came out to $78.

They had used a ridiculous exchange rate.

I crossed out the receipt, and refused to sign it and asked for a credit.

The salesperson said he would do so, and then took a long phone call, and seemed to pretend he was engaged.

I had to take my kids to a meeting spot for an activity, so I trusted he would run the credit.

Then I receive the monthly statement, and it is there on the bill.

I ask for a copy of the receipt, and there is a fake signature on it.

It takes the bank 4 months to send the copy.

I have been calling and emailing the shop for 4 months.

Lesson learned. Wait until you get the credit in hand.

I will be leaving that bank at the end of the month if they do not honor my credit.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,801 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid South Wave Surf Shop

That was one extremely unfavourable exchange rate However, if adding all charges (both CR and your bank) I can see that difference of 10US$ to be not far from reality. Just read about using a credit card to pay for a departure tax at international airports.

It must have irritated you big time; wasting 4 months and all that money on phone calls to retrieve 10 US$?!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
22 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid South Wave Surf Shop

no, to be absolutely clear, it is $78.

I did not take the goods.

I did not sign the receipt.

The receipt has a forged scrawl on it.

I was still charged the full $68 at an exchange rate that was outrageous making it $78.

$68 is is $68. they advertize the price in USD to fool people not good at maths.

The lady behind me bought $250 worth of stuff, and I calculate their exchange rate markup was around $30.

even the vendors on the street were using a 7% better exchange rate.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,515 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid South Wave Surf Shop

That's how I interpreted it ... that you walked away without the merchandise. Hope you can get a resolution from your bank for the fraudulent charge.

We found the US pricing and then conversion to colones annoying at times. The double exchange and more than generous exchange rate that some businesses use, amounts to a significantly higher price than what you would expect. Also, every time we made a payment for services or products, it was necessary to clarify what currency the charge was going to be in, even though it was posted as US$ ... it didn't mean that it was going to be charged in that currency. But such is the case when travelling.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid South Wave Surf Shop

Most merchants card transactions will be converted to colones because........ you can't pay your electric bill, your water bill, your mortgage or loan payment, you telephone, your insurance, your employees.... in dollars in Costa Rica. Things are priced in dollars because merchants in heavily touristic areas think that is what tourists want to see and there is less confusion for them.

Some merchants have a dollar bank account where there is no conversion - but not many.

If you are really concerned about an exchange rate in a store, then ask before you buy anything.

Hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction, cameron.

Edited: 8:58 am, April 22, 2014
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,801 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid South Wave Surf Shop

Walking out of the store without merchandise, that is a different story. Shop owner is one dishonest person, you should report this business to local authorities. I think Instituto Costarricense de Turismo is a proper address for such, but I have no luck finding its web or email address.

Personally I always pay in cash, using ATM for withdrawing daily amounts of preferably local currency.

About pricing in US$; majority of tourists are from US (and Canada) so they have "forced" local businesses to start with US$ pricing. If all tourists will insist on paying in local currency ...

Edited: 9:34 am, April 22, 2014
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
22 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid South Wave Surf Shop

thanks, Hattie. I understand the way it works. But for them to have a significantly worse exchange rate than the cash machine and the street vedors can not be excused.

In any case, the real issue here is that they have a receipt on my card where they have told me they will run a credit, and then have scrawled a fake signature on it, and put it through anyway.

And they have refused to return phone calls and emails about the matter.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoid South Wave Surf Shop

Cameron, I don't disagree with you - but - as far as the exchange rate goes, anytime you are in a foreign country, you will need to be aware of the exchange rate that a merchant uses before you buy something.

No excuse for not giving you the credit, I totally agree. That is not an honest practice, for sure. I had a similar thing happen to me with a hotel -- as I was checking in, they put through a charge that was much more than the booking I made so I tore up the receipt and stood there until they entered the credit.

Let's hope they come through for you eventually or that your bank will do the right thing.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
22 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoid South Wave Surf Shop

in future I will know. But when ALL the items are marked in USD, then I sort of think the merchant is being dishonest invoking a usury exchange rate. there is no notice, no discussion, no showing the calculation as I have seen even in places like Hong Kong.

anyway, apart from that, my experience in Costa Rica was fantastic. thinking of buying a place there.

:-)