We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A/C Needed In July?

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
A/C Needed In July?

We're trying to choose a vacation rental for our trip to the Dominical/Uvita are in late July. We plan to rent an oceanview home on the hillside. Most of these homes only have air conditioning in the bedrooms, and their descriptions say that "cooling breezes" make air conditioning unnecessary. Is this really true? From what I've read, the central/southern pacific can be hot and humid. My husband and I will be fine, but we'll be traveling with my mother, who's health isn't always the greatest, and also with my daughter, who can be a bit whiny when she's hot. I'm wondering if I need to make it a priority to choose one of the few homes with full a/c. So what's it really like in these hillside homes? Thanks!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,966 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A/C Needed In July?

Yes. it is true. At least it was true for us, staying at Tiki Villas Lodge past June (quite a wet June, if I might add). Although this lodge is not high up the hill, it did received a nice cooling breeze every night. Never turned A/C on … then we have never stayed in the villa during the day. So if anyone in your party will have problems with humidity, there is always a bedroom to share … during the day.

between Dominical...
Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A/C Needed In July?

If you THINK you need air conditioning, you probably will. We have lived here for 15 years and have never had it although it seems EXTREMELY important to many of our guests. Although I may be an extreme case, I sleep under a down comforter in July and find it quite chilly by morning. The ocean breezes stop at about 4pm and you'll feel a bit warm until about seven or eight pm when the breeze starts coming off the mountain and continues all night. That said, on those same mornings that I wake up shivering, I walk around the property seeing the "sweat" on other villa windows from inside temps being set at 16 centigrade (60 f)

Bottom line: it's all about what you are used to and why put up with a "whiny" daughter.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,200 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A/C Needed In July?

Agree a nice a-c in the bedroom is nice ...but with the breeze the rest of the house is nice

roadadvisor

4. Re: A/C Needed In July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 02, 2015