We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a better kids beach please

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
291 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Need a better kids beach please

Hi all,

We are finally in your paradise.

Question. I took my 2 weak swimming boys to Playa Ventanas today because I read it was a "calm swimming beach" Maybe we caught it on a bad day? Maybe people just think it's calm compared to other beaches here? The only way to reach water waist deep was to make it past a big break that I watched knock over strong teen boys & one poor elderly woman :)

Is Playa Ballena or Playa Uvita a better choice? I am really trying to avoid the MA crowds but I wanted my boys to safely wade around a bit

Thanks!

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a better kids beach please

What time of day? Tide times can really make a difference. If you want to go MA and pay the park fee, the beaches there are not too crowded & we like the south beach the best. But, really, the public beach is large enough that the kids will have plenty of room to play. We were just there yesterday.

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
549 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a better kids beach please

We were at Dominicalito (just south of Dominical) two weeks ago, and my son played in the waves quite a bit with no problem. I was wary because of all I'd heard about rough surf, but we'd been told that Dominicalito was much calmer than many nearby beaches, and we found that to be true. If you have a car, it's about 15-20 minutes north of Uvita. There is a sign to Playa Dominicalito from the highway, about a mile or so south of Dominical.

Iowa
Level Contributor
291 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a better kids beach please

Thank you. We went at low tide. I have a tide schedule. I was hoping to avoid driving all the way to MA if possible, but thanks for letting me know it's not that crowded. Maybe we will do that Tuesday. It's raining right now, so we will do beach tomorrow. We will check out Dominicalito.

Has anyone been to Ballena or Uvita beach in the park?

Thanks!!!

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a better kids beach please

There is currently a heavy surf and riptide warning for the entire Pacific coast.

insidecostarica.com/2013/…

Possibly you are facing that situation now with finding a suitable beach. Have fun, be safe!

Iowa
Level Contributor
291 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a better kids beach please

Thanks Lisa!

I figured something was wrong because everyone said Ventanas was a calm surf & it was BIG :)

6. Re: Need a better kids beach please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 19, 2014