We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife Spotting Scope

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Duluth, GA
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wildlife Spotting Scope

I was thinking of purchasing a spotting scope for our upcoming trip to Costa Rica. I was wondering how powerful of one I would need for basic bird and animal watching. I was thinking of picking up one from ebay, but they range in price from $70 to $5,000.00. I don’t want to waste my time with a toy, but I am no professional either. I would also like to get one that would allow me to connect a digital camera or iphone.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wildlife Spotting Scope

Xelas you and I have a few things in common! I also use Nikon with the nikkor 70-300 vr. When I don't have a tripod, I shoot at least 5 pics, minutely adjusting focus on each shot and usually one comes out really good. I only use manual focus, especially necessary when shooting in the jungle. Obviously you can't beat the consistency of a tripod, but it is possible to get a comparable shot.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wildlife Spotting Scope

I find the binoculars much easier than my big Canon 50D with a 300MM on it, thats is a lot of camera and weight too, I guess if you are huge photo buff and dont mind the effort yes, but man, its huge stuff.

I am going to sell it, I want a smaller body and HD video, not sure yet, maybe the Rebel.

REI has nice simple to use waterproof binoculars...

rei.com/product/…

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
12,635 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Wildlife Spotting Scope

Sonny, yes we do. Using your technique also myself. That is why I am still working on my 2011 Costa Rica photo database ! Too many of them. At least I did not shoot in RAW.

Solohobo, mirrorless cameras are becoming very popular with excellent IQ.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Wildlife Spotting Scope

Yeah I switched that raw of as soon as I saw it! We have been getting by with a pair of bushnell 8x21 pocket binoculars, they're a little dark and work good up to 70-100 meters, but we figured the chances of us spotting something much further out than that was pretty slim because we're in the jungle most of the time so we didn't bother bringing a full size pair. Well probably bring a full sized binocular next time because we find lots of birds on the rice fields here, especially as the poodles are now drying up, concentrating the birds into ever smaller areas.

15. Re: Wildlife Spotting Scope

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 11, 2014