We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Tortuguerro to Dominical?

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Drive from Tortuguerro to Dominical?

This is a follow-up to my posting yesterday. I'm not sure I have the answer to my questions yet. The responses I received said to start in Siquirres, but I will be starting in Guapiles. I guess this leads to 2 different questions:

Is there a way to drive from the Tortuguerro boat docks in La Pavona/Rancho la Suerte to Siquirres? The directions I have take me to Guapiles. I don't think there is another way. As a tourist I prefer to take a route where I'm least likely to get lost.

Assuming I start in Guapiles, how long will it take to drive to Dominical if I drive:

1. Through San Jose first, then take the Interamerican Hwy

OR

2. Go through Siquirres first, then Turrialba, then Cartago, then take the Interamerican Hwy?

I would like to avoid San Jose but not if it adds too much time. I'll be leaving Guapiles around 9am and want to get to Dominical before it gets too late (definitely before dark.)

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Tortuguerro to Dominical?

For distances and travel times, www.yourtravelmap.com

From Pavona, you will go to Cariari and then Guapiles. Only one way to go.

If it were me, I would do the Siquirres/Cartago way because I loathe driving in and around San Jose. It would also be a beautiful drive.

As you will see, Siquirres is about 5.5 hours from Dominical. If you want to do this trip in one day, no matter which way you go, you will need to arrange an early morning boat from Tortuguero.

The boat ride to Pavona is about an hour, and it's about an hour from Pavona to Guapiles, more or less depending on how many banana trucks you encounter. And it's about 45 minutes to an hour to Siquirres, so a VERY long day for you if you intend to do it in one day.

I would rather take it easy and do an overnight in Turrialba - you might get a glimpse of the volcano spewing out smoke and ashes.

If you go the San Jose route, it's about 1.5-2 hours from Guapiles to San Jose and another 3.5 hours to Dominical for a total of 5 to 5.5 hours. Plus, you never know what you might encounter for traffic in the San Jose area.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,276 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Tortuguerro to Dominical?

From PAvona as Hattie mentioned...and let me tell you few people know my country better that her...you will drive to Guapiles then to Siquirres..you do not have to go back to San Jose at all...of course if you like to do it that way is your choice...

No way to drive from La Pavona direct to Siquirres...sorry!

From La Pavona to Guapiles about 1 hour...from Guapiles by Siquirres...to Dominical...about 6 hours...total 7 hours ride!

Very much your option 2...but of course you have to go first to Guapiles then Siquirres...

roadadvisor

Buffalo
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Tortuguerro to Dominical?

Thanks for the great responses. I really appreciate the info. I too would much prefer to avoid San Jose. I will be getting the 6am boat out of Tortuguero. So it sounds like it is 1 hour on the boat, and 1 hour to Guapiles. Say I'm in Guapiles by 8:30am. From here to Siquirres about an hour (9:30) and then another 5.5 hrs to Dominical. So I could expect to arrive there around 3pm. This is a long day but I think it is the best option. I prefer to take the scenic route and experience more of the country that is beyond the typical tourist destinations. I'm a tourist but I do not like to vacation like one!

We are going on to Puerto Jimenez the day after our night in Dominical. It sounds like the drive there should only be 2-3 hours, would you agree with that? Is the road to Puerto Jimenez much improved over some of the older information I have been reading?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,276 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Tortuguerro to Dominical?

Derar 96 Mark..

Yes your driving times are very much correct...more minutes less minutes...not awhole big difference...

You are correct about 3 hours to PJ from Dominical...I drove a few days ago to PJ...from Chacarita some pot holes no big deal...just drive carefully and keep good driving distance...some road work around Rincon de Osa...I love every time I drive around there...to stop and take a picture at MINAET campus where the old helicopter belong to OSA FORESTALES still seating there all rusty...to me is like a huge monument ...as the victory we costaricans have over that ugly foreign company that was trying to cut every single tree in OSA...thank´s God we kick them out...love that part of our history...was like David and Goliath...but at the end...we save a big part of our Costa Rica...God Bless my country!

Any time we will do the same if any body will even try to take over OSA!!

Sorry I just love to think and talk about it...by the way the road is in great shape....

roadadvisor

Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Tortuguerro to Dominical?

The road to Puerto Jimenez has been much improved in the past few years. The road out of Puerto Jimenez toward Cabo Matapalo and Carate, however, is notoriously bad. It is not as well maintained and is a gravel road is full of huge potholes, bumps and lumps. Just take your time and you will be fine!

6. Re: Drive from Tortuguerro to Dominical?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, February 03, 2013