We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon Rains

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
663 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon Rains

When do these rains usually start, how long do they last anddo they occur most days. I actually look forward to them since they cool things off and create beautiful cloud formations but I ned to plan for them regarding family picnics, hikes etc.

What do you suggest regarding these outside activities?

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
508 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon Rains

What are your travel dates? The situation varies depending on the month. If fact, the situation varies depending on exactly where you are at the time. The rain moves in and out, so often my husband arrives home from an errand and tells me about the downpour he has just experienced. And I tell him "there was no rain here!" It is not like clockwork, but when you are in the area, you can get a sense of the rhythm of things and you can tell when its likely to rain soon. (Clouds build up, darkening skies, thunder in the distance, etc.)

In general, plan rainy season activities for morning and you will have less rain, as well as less heat and humidity. There can be light rain on and off all day during the rainy season, but life just goes on during the lighter showers. Heavier showers are usually in the later afternoon and often in the evenings and overnight as well. However there can also be a downpour in the morning, so be prepared with rain gear if you don't want to get wet.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon Rains

During the rainy season, you will see Costa Ricans carrying umbrellas and motorbike riders carrying a rain suit -- just in case. Most outdoor workers just keep working, figuring the rain has cooled them off and then their clothes will dry after the rain stops.

It is pretty easy to find little packs of ponchos in the tourist areas or you might want to bring one from home. No big heavy thing -- just the little light plastic one. You can also buy a really cheap small umbrella here.

The rain is unpredictable, but best bet is afternoon showers. (I write this at 11 am while it is raining outside!) With your kids, you can probably use it as an opportunity to talk about the tropics and tropical rains (assuming your kids aren't twenty-somethings) - and - as I say to people, "You can't have a rainforest without some rain!"

So bring 3 or 4 pairs of shoes - sneakers, sandals, etc, so you can have a dry pair to start the day, use ponchos and umbrellas and just don't sweat the rain. After all, you are not made of sugar!

Many rainforest trails, for instance, will have small shelters - similar to a golf course - where you can get out of the heaviest part of the rain.

Have a great visit!

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
663 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon Rains

I'm sorry I should have mentioned we are going next week. I liked your idea of seeing it begin to grow as the clouds build and get darker. THis will give us some time to pick stuff up.

Johnson City...
Level Contributor
35 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon Rains

Yes, you'll definitely see the rain slowly moving in. Where we stayed (just last week) in the city of Puntarenas, the rain came only in the evenings around 6:30-ish. Only the day we were heading back into San Jose did we see rain mid-day. I think we were lucky though! :)

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
25 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon Rains

We just got back from an 8 day trip and didn't really find a pattern to the rains. It rained most days, but typically for very short periods of time in the afternoon and sometimes in the evenings and at night. From my experience, you will have a hard time planning activities around the rains. We hiked and were outside every day and only once did we get stuck in a downpour and it was in the evening after dinner. The rains really didn't affect our trip one bit.

6. Re: Afternoon Rains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 31, 2009