We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying in August to Costa Rica into Liberia Airport

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Flying in August to Costa Rica into Liberia Airport

Does anyone know how far Liberia Airport is from Dominical for example? The airport is in Guanacaste, a different province. We are going for the first time to Costa Rica and would like to get an idea of the distances and conditions of roads, as we intend on renting a car and drive. We have not reserved any accommodations yet, so we are trying to figure out where it would make more sense to lodge. Our return flight back to the USA is at 7 am! Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!!! Thank you in advance for any input!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying in August to Costa Rica into Liberia Airport

www.mapcr.com

San Jose airport closer to

Dominical than Liberia

www.mapache.com good car rental

from either place

Still an easy but a full day down the coast

the last 20 miles between Quepos and Dominical

pretty rough not bad going slow...

Made it in a 2WD Nisann last July took 2 hours or so

www.cundeldelangel.com nice place to stay

still pretty far would probably just do

Arenal/Monteverde and Nicoya lots closer...

www.tabacon.com

www.fondavela.com

www.hotelcapitansuizo.com

might be nice...

Have fun

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
508 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying in August to Costa Rica into Liberia Airport

You might benefit from looking at this site: http://www.yourtravelmap.com

Liberia to Dominical is a 6-7 hour drive under the best of conditions. August is in the rainy season, so afternoon rains could slow you down further. The last 1.5 hours is unpaved and bumpy. Most visitors to Dominical use San Jose as their entry point, shortening the drive to 4 hours. You can get closer by taking an internal flight to Palmar Sur or Quepos.

I love Dominical, of course, but if you are coming into Liberia, maybe it is not the best destination for you. Guanacaste is a little drier at this time of year and you would not have to lose so much time traveling.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying in August to Costa Rica into Liberia Airport

www.cunadelangel.com sorry missed an a...

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying in August to Costa Rica into Liberia Airport

If you are going to Dominical, I would definitely fly into San Jose. Also - unless they arrive early or leave late, most people stay the first and last night in Alajuela -- this is where the airport actually is. There are many nice hotels in Alajuela from $40 up. If you stay close to the center of Alajuela, you will have access to banks, shops, pharmacies, restaurants and the like. If this is not important, you can just stay anywhere. For instance, there is a Hampton Inn close to the airport but there is not much nearby. If you are just there for the overnight, it may not make much difference. Some others are Vida Tropical (about 7 kilometers from the airport, just north of Alajuela in a beautiful area), Hotel Aeropuerto, Holiday Inn Express, La Guaria, Hotel Mi Tierra, and several others. You can just turn in your car and get a taxi to the hotel so you will be ready in the am for your early flight. Taxis are used to people leaving early and don't think too much about picking you up at 4:30 am or whatever.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying in August to Costa Rica into Liberia Airport

From Liberia to Dominical is around 5 hours...Liberia...Canas...Barranca...Caldera...Tarcoles..Herradura...JAco...Playa Hermosa...Monterey...Parrita...make a left at Quepos entrance...toward hospital and Airport...keep going all the way to Dominical...road is ok can be muddy or dusty but ok for any car...

If your flight departs at 7am...better to stay near the airport...

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying in August to Costa Rica into Liberia Airport

Thank you for all the info! We are flying into Liberia, it was a bit cheaper, so we are going to look for accommodation in Guanacaste. Can't risk missing the plane... but we will travel around as long as it's safe driving. We are four so we are mainly looking for villas, rather than hotels, to rent. Anyone has suggestion for that kind of accommodation? Private owned or professionally managed?

Thanks again!

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying in August to Costa Rica into Liberia Airport

Tamarindo is a very popular place to visit in northern Guanacaste and is only one-hour from the airport. Here is a link to its tourism information.

www.tamarindocosta-rica.com

Trip advisor has many villa rentals listed for Tamarindo. Many of them by a company called RPM Services. I know the owners, Sandy and Rick, very well. If you talk to them tell them the Phone Book Guy sent you. They have a large selection of villas.

I also know of a very, very nice apartment building in Tamarindo that has recently drop their prices, and now they are super deal. They are fairly large, cosy and fairly luxurious. Let me know.

Tamarindo Tourism

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
508 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying in August to Costa Rica into Liberia Airport

VRBO and Homeaway are good places to look for rental villas. I don't think "professional" management is a necessary prerequisite to a successful rental experience. With either option, look for good communication and responsiveness to all of your questions and good reviews. Ask for additional photographs and for the email address of recent guests to ensure yourself that the villa is as represented on the listing. If you don't get this quickly, move on to another property. There are so many wonderful places to choose from. Do your homework.

I hope you love Costa Rica so much that you will come back and explore Dominical and the Costa Ballena area on your next trip!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying in August to Costa Rica into Liberia Airport

surfer02025,

Thanks so much for the link to yourtravelmap.com! I've never heard of this website before, and it's invaluable in figuring out the order in which we should visit the places in our 3-week itinerary. It's *exactly* what I needed. Thanks again!

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying in August to Costa Rica into Liberia Airport

Thanks for this info! By looking around the net, I saw that Tamarindo area seemed to be very popular. I'll check out the villas you mentioned, and yes, if you can give me a contact for that nice apartment building I could give it a try. I can vacation with much less than luxury, but if luxury comes at a decent cost, I might give it a try. :-))

I am looking for a rental which is not too far from the beach, not too far from a town, and which can be the starting point for different adventures. With an 18yr old and a 22-yr old, the vacation spot cannot be very secluded, and it has to have beach going and action... I'm sure many of you understand that!

Thanks again! Keep the suggestions coming!