We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamest Ziplining for Heights-Challenged Mom

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
66 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Tamest Ziplining for Heights-Challenged Mom

My family of 3 adventurers plus me will be in La Fortuna, Manuel Antonio and Dominical this August. Everybody wants to do a zipline tour, even me, although I will be facing a lifelong fear of heights. Is there one that is known as being less high, less scary -- maybe for beginners (read: wimps)? I'd rather do one in La Fortuna, since we will be rafting and doing beach stuff at the other locations, but if there's a recommended zipline in one of the other spots, I'd do it. I've spent days researching this topic and still can't decide -- real life experience is required from you guys! Thanks!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tamest Ziplining for Heights-Challenged Mom

From what I know the one near Arenal is the highest and covers more ground and are the better ones. I can't answer about ones in MA because I've never done one down there.

I did one in Tamarindo. It wasn't so bad. I'm scared of heights and the worst part for me was standing on the little platform between zips.

Good luck.

Tricia

CT
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tamest Ziplining for Heights-Challenged Mom

I am going in July and face the same problem as you. After much research, I choose canopy safari in MA. For me it seems to be thru the trees rather than over the trees. Sky trek in Arenal seems to be 100's of feet in the air way above the trees. CHeck it out.. and see what you think. Maybe someone who has doen canopy safari will chime in.

Harvard...
Level Contributor
144 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tamest Ziplining for Heights-Challenged Mom

Do the zip lines mostly because you want the thrill; the views are nice and the rush is well, great. But if you hope to see nature, stay on the ground.

The zips were installed all over CR to attract some "new" kinds of travelers that CR wasn't getting a lot of (kids, young adults who aren't granola crunchers) and, I'm sure, to hopefully grab extra bucks from some older folks. If you really want the rush, the cost is probably worth it. But to me it is a bit Disneyesque. For that, I prefer Orlando.

By the by, the two zips I have seen are, indeed, very high.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tamest Ziplining for Heights-Challenged Mom

The one is Dominical is not bad at all. I would definitely call it a beginners zip line, although it was a lot of fun.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
66 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tamest Ziplining for Heights-Challenged Mom

Thanks for the feedback...I'm leaning toward Canopy Safari, although Titi Canopy wouldn't take up so much of our day. (Can you sense that this is something I would prefer to just "get over with"?!) Is the Dominical zipline the one at Hacienda Baru (the Flight of the Toucan)? It does look pretty tame.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tamest Ziplining for Heights-Challenged Mom

We did two zip lines two weeks ago. The first in Monteverde (Selvatura). Very high but thrilling. I actually thought the one in MA (Canopy Tours) was scarier because you have to do the Tarzan swing (which was the hardest for me to do but not so bad after I did it) and rappelling. The platforms don't have any railings and I was hugging the tree. The kids thought it was a blast. My mom has a real fear of heights but she suited up anyway. She got to the top of the first platform and couldn't make the leap into the abyss. If you have a problem with heights, skip it altogether. Once you start out you can't go back!

dominical
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tamest Ziplining for Heights-Challenged Mom

the Hacienda Baru one is perfect for beginners it,s not really that high or fast there are 8 platforms which means that you zip line once and you walk and then you zip line again and walk you do this 8 times, very nice, not scary a lot of fun and if you do the 8:00am one you will probably see more animals.

CT
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tamest Ziplining for Heights-Challenged Mom

This sounds great! How do we get from Quepos to Hacienda baru without a car. Is it worth the trip? I was going to do Canopy Safari but this sounds better for my fears!

dominical
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tamest Ziplining for Heights-Challenged Mom

you can take a bus from quepos which my be a little unconfortable, or I would recomend you to rent a car a this time of the year you can renta 4x4 for $50 per day,there is a lot to see around Dominical that you can use your car for. look up online, las cavernas de ventanas and the whales tale in marino ballena, there is also a beautiful waterfall called Nauyaca this is a horseback riding tour with breakfast and lucn for $50.

I hope this hepls you!!!

Mexico
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tamest Ziplining for Heights-Challenged Mom

I totally agree with the recommendation of Hacienda Baru. It is an amazing Wildlife Refuge with excellent and very kind staff. You will feel very comfortable and I bet see a lot of wildlife too! The 8 o´clock tour is great and usually not crowded. Have fun!