We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Manual Antonio to San Jose Need Directions

South Carolina
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Manual Antonio to San Jose Need Directions

I am in Dominical now and leave tomorrow. We are thinking about driving up to MA and taking that route back to San Jose. I need the route and landmarks please.

Also, how is the road from Dominical to MA. People here tell me the drive is about an hour but I have been a few KM down the road and it is EXTREMELY rough. Does it get better along the way?

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
508 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Manual Antonio to San Jose Need Directions

The road between Dominical and MA gets a little better better past Hacienda Baru and then again at about the half way point. But its still brutal. Relief is coming soon though. Most of the old bridges have been replaced and paving is scheduled for late 2009.

http://www.yourtravelmap.com/

This site is good for maping out your return route. Just know the name of the next major town you need to get to.

From Dominical, you follow signs to MA, then from MA to Jaco, then to Orotina, then to Atenas, then to San Jose. Easy drive after MA. And somehow, returning to San Jose always seems less confusing than getting out upon arrival.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Manual Antonio to San Jose Need Directions

I drove the 'brutal' road from Quepos to Dominical last week - and it really is rough, even in a brand new large 4x4. I am currently in Uvita, and will be returniing next week to SJO - but by way of the paved road through the mountains! ;-)

South Carolina
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Manual Antonio to San Jose Need Directions

Thanks, we drove the road on Friday and it took just over an hour...very interesting drive compared to anything I have done in the US.

4. Re: Driving from Manual Antonio to San Jose Need Directions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, August 11, 2009