We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Time to visit Tombstone

Which Tombstone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, TX
3 posts
Save Topic
Best Time to visit Tombstone

My husband and I are planning a vacation to Tombstone this summer (we work at schools). We were initially planning on July because we heard that June was the hottest month and our grandchildren were going to be in town in June. Now we've heard that the monsoon rainy season starts in July and we are worried that the rain may interfere with our vacation. So we have hotter in June/rainy in July. Help!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best Time to visit Tombstone

Just west of Amarillo along I40 is Cadillac Ranch http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2220

You probably will, take shortest route via Clovis to Roswell. On you way just south of Amarillo is lovely Palo Duro Canyon SP. A hidden gem.

We've been to the UFO museum but found 1 hour enough. Nice building and you can stay a lot longer if you are interested in UFO history.

Whith the stops on your way it'l be a long drive to Carlsbad. Maybe try to see the bats fly out at dusk but keep in mind it's still a 30 minutes drive from Carlsbad. Maybe stay White's City. There's a hotel but we didn't stay. Hotel used to be a Best Western but no longer now. White's City only is 10 minutes from the entrance. For the Caverns take at least 3 hours. I'd take the self guided tour from the Natural Entrance (where the bats fly out) and walk the steep descend to the Big Room eventually. Then take the elevator.

White Sands is fantastic but barren and hot. No shade, no sand either but gypsum. There also is a nice Visitor Center. Slop on sunscreen (water and a hat of course also). Can't tell you about a missile range.

And you can have free dinner at The Big Texan but read terms and conditions....It's just north of I40 just east of down town Amarillo.

Some other places close to the interstate are La Mesilla near Las Cruces, Rock Hound SP in Deming, City of Rocks on the way to Silver City, some ghosttowns near Lordsburg and if you drive via Bisbee, Geronimo's Statue along 80. And Bisbee itself. Many more places though like Chiricahua NM.

Tet

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best Time to visit Tombstone

Thanks for your input!!! I know there will be so much to see on this trip, but when your on a motorcycle you really have to focus on your stopping point cause the days are long and it just not like riding in a car!! :) But with that being said....we love it!!!

Tombstone is my main goal, the other stops along the way are just icing on the cake. I just hope once in Tombstone the ghost tours and reinactments are still going on, are they still doing all these things in late September? I read somewhere that one ghost tour was only on Friday and Saturday, I think we will be there on Wednesday and Thursday

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best Time to visit Tombstone

I'm sure one of the local Tucson experts can answer that. We haven't been to Tombstone in years.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,611 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best Time to visit Tombstone

Your questions about Tombstone are likely answered here:

http://www.tombstoneweb.com/tombstonefaq.html

Individual attractions and reenactments are privately managed and subject to change and availability.

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best Time to visit Tombstone

Thanks... I'll check out that website. September is the only time we can make this trip this year and I don't want to wait till next year so I'll just cross my fingers that the rain stays to our back!!

Hopefully, there will be some good ghost tours still operating during that time and I'll catch one on my camera!!!!!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,611 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best Time to visit Tombstone

The ghost tours are held on Friday and Saturday evenings, with one also scheduling Sundays. Where they take you is places where people have allegedly seen ghosts. You don't actually see anything. You realize that this is a form of entertainment, right? As is almost everything you will encounter in Tombstone.

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best Time to visit Tombstone

yes, it is all entertainment, but we wont be there on the weekend so I guess I'll have to do without my ghost fix!!!! It will take us a good 3 days to ride back home so we wont be able to strech our stay in Tombstone. ;(

Hemet
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Best Time to visit Tombstone

The Tombstone area is worth a heck of a lot more than "a half day of your time." There are many historic sites in the area and in the cooler weather, the hiking is fantastic. And the average high in June is 95, NOT upper 90's and low 100's. Tombstone is much cooler than Tucson in the summer.

19. Re: Best Time to visit Tombstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 07, 2011