We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Trip to Tombstone - Need Advice!

Medford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
95 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight Trip to Tombstone - Need Advice!

I want to take a weekend trip to Tombstone, AZ from San Diego, CA. and am looking for some advice from people who have been there!

Is 1 day/night enough time to see what there is to see?

What are things that I definitely should make sure I see/do while there?

Recommendations on where to stay overnight?

Is it better to fly or drive (7 hour drive one-way)? (I realize this is a personal opinion, since some people hate driving or flying but I mean is it worth the long drive?)

Anything else you can tell me to make this a great trip! :)

THANKS!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight Trip to Tombstone - Need Advice!

If it was me I would drive. By the time you go to the airport, go through security, wait to board, fly, arrive, wait for luggage, get a rent car and proceed to Tombstone you've spent a lot of time (and money since gas is less than $2/gallon now).

Tombstone can be seen in a day and night. I would incorporate a visit to Bisbee (great mining days history), Kartchner Caverns, and possibly Tubac if you have the time. I spent a similar weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight Trip to Tombstone - Need Advice!

Personally, I would fly, if the additional cost of the flight and car rental is not a factor.

1 day and night are sufficient.

What to see/do?

Bird Cage Theater Museum. There is a charge, but worth it.

Old Courthouse

Goodenough Mine tour

Boot Hill, of course.

If on the weekend, go to the Crystal Palace after dinner for C&W music, dancing, drinks, and people watching.

I have always stayed at the Trail Riders Inn, a small motel only 2 blocks from the Crystal Palace. It is small and clean, nothing fancy, and very reasonable.

http://www.trailridersinn.com/default.aspx

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight Trip to Tombstone - Need Advice!

We used Tombstone as one of our stopovers driving from San Diego to Santa Fe. We stayed at the Larian Motel, & it was quite good. We arrived late afternoon so just went into town for dinner at the Longhorn resturant. The steak was good & quite cheap.

The next morning we had a wander around town, went to the courthouse & one of the gunfighter shows.

To be honest, we enjoyed it as a stopover but I don't know that I would drive there specifically as it is a long drive. You would probably be better to fly to Tucson Friday evening & rent a car for 2 days to explore more of the area as well. We would have liked to visit Bisbee, but didn't have time.

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
69 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight Trip to Tombstone - Need Advice!

I agree! Make sure you take the time to see Bisbee too. It is a great secret! Drive or Fly, it is going to be a long trip, I would leave 2 days for travel and at least one whole day and night to see the area.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,219 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight Trip to Tombstone - Need Advice!

While Yahoo and Google maps may say it is a 7 hour drive, that's the normal amount of time to drive to Tucson, and then another 1.5 hours to Tombstone. Most of the drive is desert with little interest. I recommend flying.

6. Re: Overnight Trip to Tombstone - Need Advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:37 am, November 19, 2009