We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November Trip

Which Tombstone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
GA
Level Contributor
204 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
November Trip

I'd like to get your suggestions on what to do and where to stay, what to see, and what not to miss during a couple of days in November (probably about the 10th-12th or the 12th-14th). What is the weather usually like then? Thanks!! B.

Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
883 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November Trip

Bumping this up for you - sorry can't help but hopefully someone else will? :)

phoenix arizona
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November Trip

Tombstone is great. November is a great time to go. It will probably be in the high 70's. You may want to get online on the weatherchannel and check their averages for November.

Visit the OK Coral. They have a reinactment of the famous gunfight every day at 2pm. Buy your ticket earlier in the day so in case they sell out.

The Bird Cage Theatre is also worth seeing. Make sure you take the tour.

The Six Gun restaurant has a gunshow fight also during the lunch time. They had good steak.

You may also enjoy a carriage ride around the town. There are several pickup areas on the main street. That's Allen Street.

You can also go to the Court house, which is now a museum.

You should rent the movie Tombstone before you go so you have a better idea of why the town is famous.

You have to go to Boot Hill too.

Most of the stores close by around 7pm. But the Saloons stay open. So any tourist stuff has to be done before 7pm.

I liked staying at the Holiday Inn Express. They have breakfast included and it's only about a 2 year old hotel. It also has a pool and jacuzzi and a nice view of the mountains. The only other real hotel is the Best Western. Most of the other accomodations are bed and breakfasts or small local hotels.

You'll have a great time!

Woodbourne, NY
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: November Trip

Try the larian Motel. Been staying there since first coming to Tombstone in 1999. Cleanest rooms in town and you can walk to all the attractions in town. You cannot walk into town from the 2 Hotels you mentioned.

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: November Trip

You could also try the Adobe Lodge Motel, literally just around the corner from Allen Street.

birmingham uk
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November Trip

I have just returned from my first visit to Tombstone, fantastic!!. We stayed at the Larian, we were there on the nights of 14/15 Oct.The rooms are great and very clean could not fault them and the price was right. The owner was very helpful and it is only a few minuites walk from the attractions. Feel free to contact me if you wish on ivor@ivorcath.wanadoo.co.uk.

Ivor

Woodbourne, NY
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: November Trip

Had some close friends stay at the Adobe Lodge. Not even close to the quality, service or the cleanlieness of The Larian Motel where we stayed.

orinda
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: November Trip

If the purpose is to rough it our and be a cowboy for a weekend any of those motels are fine. However, if you are looking to have the luxury and the convienence of fine dining and hot breakfast in the morning --the only place would be BEST WESTERN LOOKOUT LODGE. EXCELLENT HOTEL WITH A SUPERB RESTAURANT called Ranch22. All the rooms are facing the famous Dragoon Mountains and the gardens are immaculately kept. Furthermore, the food is the best in the area. Will recommend and stay here again. Great experience.

Woodbourne, NY
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: November Trip

I beg to differ. I am a frequent visitor to Tombstone. While the Best Western is a very nice establishment ( We did stay there once) it is a bit more than a mile out of the town and historic district. So if you walk the trip back is UPHILL and on highway 80. No sidewalks. Not a good exprience. Also a pain to have to drive back and forth from twn if you go out and party in the saloons. As for us we come to Tombstone to feel the flavor of the west and 1880's. We always now stay at the Larian Motel. It is decorated in the period, clean large rooms and a gracious and helpful host Gordon. We have tried all the eateies in town at one time or another. All are pricey, but hey its a tourist town. Some are better than others. We will be returning to Tombstone in Feb to stay a week again. Will update on any changes in the town after the trip.

San Diego
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: November Trip

We have stayed at the Larian. We like owner Gordon and it is very nice. I realize this is post-date; but for the benefit of anyone else coming later:

Our new favorite is The Tombstone Boarding House on 4th Street about a block and a half behind Schieffelin Hall. It is a bed and breakfast. Very nice rooms furnished in period style (no TV and no phone) in an 1880's adobe. Hostess/owner Sylvia is a wonderful, caring, personable lady. 3-course breakfast every morning at 8:30 (not ungodly early!) and fine dining -- American and Mexican cuisine -- in the attached Lamplighter Room restaurant. If you have special dietary concerns, let her know when you make your reservation and she will accommodate. Well worth the few extra dollars. Live classical Spanish guitar music Friday and Saturday nights. A thoroughly enjoyable place to stay.

It's about a 3-block walk to Allen Street but it's not a hard walk to make, even for me... our trips to Tombstone represent the only time I get any exercise (I'm a writer so I'm normally chained to my computer!). It's far enough outside of town to be really quiet at night even while the saloons are open or the bikers are tearing up and down Fremont Street, but close enough that you never feel put upon if you need to stop back at your room to take home a bulky souvenir or pick up a wrap for an evening stroll.

HIGHLY recommended!

Also while there be sure to check out the OUTSTANDING NEW dramatic production at the OK Corral. It's written and directed by Stephen Keith, a local professional (who also absolutely CHANNELS Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday) and performed by age-appropriate professional actors (their guns work, and they remember their lines!), not the 70-year-old geezer "re-enactors" who have garnered such negative comments on these forums.

It's brand new and really excellent entertainment. When we're in town we go to every available show! It shows at 5 p.m. -- actually beginning at 4:30 in front of the Silver Nugget and working its way down Allen Street, going into the OK Corral around 5:00, lasting another 40 minutes or so. It's called "Tombstone's Main Event: Tragedy at the OK Corral," and it is the best show we have EVER seen there, and we have been visiting Tombstone regularly since 1990. It tells the story more from the cowboy perspective and yet is probably the most balanced production in any medium we have ever seen... with no apparent bias... really makes you think!

Also HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Finland
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: November Trip

Hi

I am sorry I have to disagree with "Tombstone is great". We were touring for one month around California, Arizona and New Mexico, and Tombstone is the only place, I now would skip totally !

You don't say, what kind of group is going ? We were just adult couple, so it you have children, maybe they like it.

I like western movies and really waited for to see this place and it was big disappoinment.

But my reasons, why NOT to go to Tombstone:

The street and buildings look nice. But EVERYONE has a gift shop inside. And that is what this is all about: everything is very fake, and they just want to get every dollar out of you.

OK Coral. - the worst show I have ever seen. Didn't know if I should laugh or cry. I don't undestand why it is so popular, maybe because they advertise it so much ? Even schoolboys can act better.

The Bird Cage Theatre - this is ok, if you like to see old things from western world

Carriage ride around the town - expensive for 10 minutes ride around the corner.

Boot Hill - they ruined this place. It seems very fake, all the writings in 'tombstones', which are wooden, are new. It seems like its made yesterday. They said, it is original. I doubt it.

I think, much better place was Calico Ghost town near Barstow. Or even Universal Studios have 'western city' which seems more original than Tomstone.

I am sure, it has been great, but now it is ruined. So this is my opinion, at least now someone has warned you...I hope, you like it more if you go. Otherwise, it is just waste of time and money.